New Navigation Improvements to Smartsheet

Shaine Greenwood
Shaine Greenwood Employee
edited 08/16/19 in General Announcements

Community—

On December 13th, we made navigation improvements to Smartsheet. These updates include removing Smartsheet tabs in place of browser tabs, and a new left panel where you can access your Smartsheet items.

For details on these changes, please visit this dashboard. The dashboard includes a helpful instructional video as well as links to a blog post and FAQ.

Cheers

UPDATE

To help ease the transition to the changes, we’ve set up a half an hour webinar of demo and Q & A with members of our design and product teams. The event is called "Smartsheet New UX Q&A" and is scheduled for Monday, December 17 from 8:00 am - 8:30 am Pacific Time (USA).

Here's the webinar registration link: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/5230296944453247745

We hope you can attend!

Comments

• Saving between sheets ---

Based on the new design it is much more likely that a user (of any type) will navigate between sheets by using URL tabs on their browser. This requires remembering to hit save on the sheet. In the old setup, when you updated one sheet and navigated to another, the system automatically saved your work.

This is a step backwards.

Can this be addressed?

Thank you

• Open Left Panel ---

Is it possible to add a feature to pin the left panel so that it always is open? In a typical management activity I will move between 5-10 sheets in 30 minutes, it is now an extra key stroke (or a couple) to open the left panel. It would much more efficient to pen the left panel open

Can this be addressed?

Thank you

• Jroeder
    Jroeder ✭✭✭

I like the new navigation window look and layout. I however, do not like the new browser tabs. Would rather have a combination of the new navigation window and the Smartsheet Tabs. This new method of opening sheets also eliminates the functionality of the Dashboard that I have setup for the men on the shop floor. Each time they click on a link in the Dashboard it opens the sheet in the current Browser Tab thus closing the Dashboard. What then is the point of the Dashboard which is the main feature we use here. The only way to have a sheet open in a new Browser Tab is if it already exists in your Recent or Favorite folder(s). You then are required to select the collapse (Hamburger) button to the right of the pin and select "Open in new Tab". Not nearly as productive as before. Not liking it...

• I hate the new layout.  I want my tabs back.  I worked before seamlessly navigating between all the sheets I needed to be open at the same time. I am now wanting my company to get rid of SmartSheets and just go directly to Google Docs.  At least it is free.

• Another vote to restore the old layout and allow multiple sheets to be open at once.  Forcing one active sheet at a time is many steps backwards and must have been an oversight - please restore the Smartsheet tabs ASAP.

• laura.buchanan
    laura.buchanan ✭✭✭✭

I really miss being able to have the left navigation strip stay open (what you see when you click on the home button). I am doing a lot more clicks to get back to home base and view my different files. I'm finding it to be very frustrating. I would also like to pin open the Home navigation strip.

• laura.buchanan
    laura.buchanan ✭✭✭✭

Please go back to allowing more than one tab open at a time. I need to frequently flit back and forth between tabs/sheets. This is more clicks. By having several tabs open it allows you to be working on several things at once and "know where you were" on the sheet. I don't like going back to the last opened strip and opening back up where I was. I keep saying to myself....where was I??

• This update is brutal. Major step in the wrong direction.

Ill likely be talking to my team about scrapping smartsheet unless this is changed back to the way it was 

• Jacob H.
    Jacob H. ✭✭✭✭

A fix I have found for saving sheets is changing the automatic saving interval to 1 minute.  That way if I forget to save before switching to a new tab it will only be a minute before others see my changes.

To be honest I wasn't looking forward to this change when I heard about it, and to some extent I am still not thrilled. But I am invested enough to stick with it and see what comes next.

• Ok so, the biggest issue for our users is that with the SmartSheet tabs when we opened the interface all our recently used sheets were opened and we could just jump between them. Now we open them in browser tabs but of course when we close the browser and open it again we have to re-open all our tabs.

• Hi Laura,

I'm not affiliated with SmartSheet in any way but I'm curious to know why opening your sheets in separate browser tabs doesn't work for you?

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭

+1 to the ability to pin the navigation window to the left.

Now, every time I start working in a sheet and want to open another one I have to:

1. Click on the three lines

2. Click on the home icon

3. Click on the workspace

4. Click on the sheet

This new design added two clicks to my workflow.  Yes, I know about the shortcut, but most of my users do not - and they are who I care about.  (cough cough hint hint care about the users)

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yup.  Once again they tweaked the interface instead of fixing old problems.

Now we're stuck with the new system that requires more clicks and removes some functionality.  Not happy.