Sheet formula to access members in a group

Options
Gregory M
Gregory M
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

I've created a Group and can track assigned tasks in a Resource View with the group dynamically. Is there a way to access the group list in a formula on a sheet?

In my sheet, there is an "Assigned To" column which is a Contact List type column. The cell can be assigned to group members and non-group members. The next column, "Group Member," is a Checkbox type column. Is there a formula I can use to automatically check the box in the "Group Member" column if the name/email in the "Assigned To" column is included in the group?

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Gregory,

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean Groups that are in Smartsheet (Contacts) or your own in the sheet?

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s) or some screenshots? That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Gregory M
    Options

Sure, I'd love to clarify for you.

By Groups I mean as they are defined in "Group Management" under "Account Administration." For example, in the screenshot attached, there is a group that is defined as "Production Floor." The group allows some advanced features such as emailing all group members using only the group name, or sending notifications to the group.

My question is: can I access the group members through a formula in a sheet?

An example of this would be a formula in a cell such as:

=ISGROUPMEMBER("Production Floor",[Assigned To]1)

where the first argument would be the group name and the second argument would be the value I have in a column named "Assigned To" which is either a name or an email of the person assigned to some task I'm tracking in the sheet.

group.PNG

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks!

That's what I thought! Unfortunately, it's not possible to access contacts or groups in that way. 

Great idea! Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

It could maybe work if the contacts were somewhere in the sheet or another sheet for reference and then have a formula to check that "list".

Would that work?

Best,

Andrée

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Gregory M
    Options

Thanks, Andrée.

In my case, it wouldn't work at the sheet level; there are many sheets in use and the group members do change somewhat regularly.

Doing a reference sheet might be the solution here. I was just hoping to limit the number of steps (things to update) when the members in the group change.

I'll submit an enhancement request as you suggested.

Gregory

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Happy to help!

That's probably the best way at the moment.

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!