Counting # of items completed late

@sophie
@sophie
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

Hi!

I have two columns. One if the Due Date and the other is the Completed Date. I would like to set-up an equation where it counts the number of times an item was completed late (after the due date). Is this possible? If yes, what is the equation? 

Tags:

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm. I swear I know a better way of doing this, but I am having trouble getting anything to work. To do this quickly, you could create a helper column and use the following IF statement =IF([Completed Date]@row > [Due Date]@row, "late")

That will write the word late in the row... then you could do a simple... =Countifs([Helper Column]:[Helper Column], "late")

• Lee Joramo
    Lee Joramo ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You could do this with the followting equation:

=IF([Completed Date]3 > [Due Date]3, 1, "")

This will put a 1 in the column if the Completed Date was after the Due Date. Then sum the column.

Here is an example sheet https://app.smartsheet.com/b/publish?EQBCT=d3c78d81b9424434a84055dfa1e2f28d

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Comparing two (or more) columns for a count at the row level without a helper column is possible with an absurd amount of nested COLLECT functions which also happens to be rather inflexible and easily broken.

I have tested and dug through the forums here and tested some more, and the best thing by far I personally have found has been to use a helper column to compare the cells at the row level and then count the helper column.

If you can find a different way, I'm all ears. Adding extra stuff in after a sheet has been in use enough to have a few thousand rows is rather tiresome.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!