Resource Allocation and Manipulation

Connor Hartford
Connor Hartford ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi,

I am new to Smartsheet and I am trying to create a view for my team where I can see all of the tasks, across multiple sheets (projects), that individual team members are assigned.  In other words I want a view where I can see all assigned tasks, with task names, who the tasks are assigned to, dates, and a Gnatt chart if possible.  I want to be able to see Person A's and Person B's schedule next to each other, with task names, and reassign/move around as needed. 

From my understanding of 'Resource Views' you cannot do that.  It only shows the people I have selected and what percent they are allocated.  I really need the ability to view multiple people, task names, across multiple projects, and then edit.

I tried to do this with a report.  I put all of my projects in one workspace, and selected the workspace as the 'Where?' option in the Report Builder.  Then selected the columns I wanted.  It kind of works, but is cumbersome.  It does not allow me to filter on the 'Assigned To' column.  I think this might be because I have child tasks in all of these sheets, and it is trying to keep them grouped together?  If I look at the 'Sheet Name' Column in the report, it is keeping all of the tasks in a sheet, grouped together.  I wanted to use this method and then sort, so that I could group by employee and then start date.

Maybe I am doing this incorrectly or maybe there is a different way to achieve what I am after, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Connor Hartford

Comments

• Alison
    Alison Employee

Hi Connor,

Firstly, if you're having trouble with the "Assigned To" field in the Report, you may want to ensure that you have each column with the same column type and exact same name (no differences in spacing, capitalization, etc.) in each sheet.

Secondly, have you tried using the sort option in a Report to view the items the way you'd like?  Here's some information on sorting.

Alison

• Connor Hartford
    Connor Hartford ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Alison,

I've verified each column is the same type and using the exact same names.  It doesn't do anything when sorting on the 'Assigned To' column.  All 'Assigned To' columns are being populated with the correct usernames and pictures, all capitalization and spacing is auto populated with contact info, and will not sort.

You and I are having a discussion over on: https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/report-sorting-assigned-column

I believe that if we sort out that issue (linked discussion) I could use this how I am planning on using it.

Connor

Connor Hartford