Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Contain Function?

I'd like to use an IF statement to accomplish the following:

If cell contains the character "?", then print "&" in the cell next to it.

I can't find any function that accomplishes what CONTAINS does in Excel, does anyone know a way to to do this?

Tags:

Comments

• John Sauber
    John Sauber ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Assuming the column name you're testing is called "Column 1", then the formula in "the column next to it" as you put it, is:

=IF(FIND("?", [Column 1]1) > 0, "&", "")

You have to decide what to put if there isn't a question mark. in this example, I'm making the cell blank.

• Thanks John!

I tried using your formula to search in a single cell and it works. However, if I search within a range of cells and it's bringing up an error. Is there a trick for this?

• Patty Rechberger
    edited 01/25/19

"I tried using your formula to search in a single cell and it works. However, if I search within a range of cells and it's bringing up an error. Is there a trick for this?"

I have the same problem.

• Kirstine
    Kirstine ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I found this really helpful, thanks! (Luckily I didn't need to search a range...!)

This discussion has been closed.