Indenting sub-sub-tasks remove Gantt bars (start and finish dates)

Ben Donahue
Ben Donahue ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Adding sub-tasks to a task seems to be no problem, perhaps because they are already indented.

Indenting these sub-tasks removes all the start and finish dates for the rest of the sheet. Is there a way to avoid this and preserve the Start and f=Finish dates, thereby saving the Gantt chart?

One way is to copy and past the dates into another document, indent the tasks needed, and paste them back in, but that seems like a less-than optimal choice.

Thank you for your help.

Tags:

Comments

• Shaine Greenwood
    Shaine Greenwood Employee
    edited 05/15/19

Hi Ben—

I'm not able to reproduce this specific behavior of start/finish dates being removed. (I'm assuming you're talking about them becoming blank.) Here's what I've tried:

Scenario #1

Created two tasks with different start/finish dates—indented one task under another. The child task start/finish dates altered the parent dates. This is expected behavior as a parent task is a "summary" task which rolls up data from its child tasks.

Scenario #2

Created two tasks with different start/finish dates—made one task dependent on the other task and indented it. The predecessor relationship was removed and the parent start/finish dates altered to reflect the roll-up dates. This is expected behavior.

Scenario #3

Created three tasks with different start/finish dates—made one dependent on another, indented a third task (with no dependency) under the dependent one. This created a dependent parent, which then altered the child task start/finish dates to be controlled by the parent. This is also expected behavior.

----------

If you meant that the dates become altered (not completely removed) when indenting occurs, that's normal behavior in the app. I'd recommend creating a different parent task that is treated more like a "summary" row, then indenting children under that task. Any time you have start/finish dates in a task and make it a parent or a child, the start/finish dates (and potentially the predecessors) of one of those tasks will be altered based on the parent, child, and dependencies relationships you have.

More on dependencies.

• Ben Donahue
    Ben Donahue ✭✭✭✭✭

I am unable to re-create the scenario, also. At the time, though, the Start and Finish dates were disappearing all together, not just changing. Thank you for your response, Shaine, I appreciate that you took the time to help.

• Hi Ben,

If it does happen again, please contact our Support team and provide them with a screen capture video of the behavior.

(Hoping it doesn't happen to you again, though.)