Create a Link to A Filtered Sheet

Bladerunner
Bladerunner ✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

Does anyone know of a way to link to a filtered sheet? I want to create a number of links on a dashboard which when clicked on will show the same smart sheet but with a different filter applied.

e.g. I could have a link that says "Red items" and another that says "Blue Items"  the interaction on the link would be to open the another smartsheet with the saved filter "Red Items" or "Blue Items" applied automatically...

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 06/09/19

Hi,

Yes, if you select the filter that you want to be applied and then copy the URL and use that as the link on the dashboard, it will open with the filterer view.

Another way could be to create different reports instead. What would work best depends on your specific workflow and need.

Would that work?

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Andree, I think that will do it thank you.

It would be nice if it was listed as a smartsheet item when linking from a dashboard.

Kind regards.. Ben

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent!

Happy to help!

To be able to select the filter as part of the item would be a significant enhancement! Great idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

Best,

Andrée

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• This is a no-brainer request. Surprised after all these years I still can't find this functionality.

If we are using a Smartsheet to track a project or datasheet it should be feasible for me to share a link with exactly the view I want to share on the fly. I should need to create a report for every time I want to discuss a section of the spreadsheet with another colleague. If I am using a filter to limit my results, and especially if it is a saved filter I would expect to have a unique URL for those results which I can rapidly share with teams I am collaborating with.

Please tell me this has been implemented but it's so intuitive that I am overlooking it 😃

Thanks

Paul

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @Paul Simon

If the filter is a Shared filter, then there will be a unique Filter ID at the end of the URL. Providing that specific URL with the filter ID will enable all users to open the sheet with the filter automatically applied. 🙂

You can also set a default filter on the sheet in the Share window.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Hi @Genevieve P.

Thanks for your response, that's already a great start.

In our case we are using Smartsheet's Project Portfolio and Project Program Planning functionality (i.e. sheet with Gannt)

and

Issue / risk logs and test script trackers where we often want people to have a look at a couple of sections, 2-3 lines of items in these.

We don't like sharing screenshots as this limits adoption of Smartsheet. People wait for the emails don't look and actively update Smartsheet.

On the other hand we don't want to have to create a filter for every item we want to share a section of a project plan, test execution tracker or issue logger. For some standard items that works and it is fine but for others it is not. Excel obviously lets you do that easily. We would expect this to be feasible in Smartsheet especially if Smartsheet is to be scaled.

Cheers

Paul