Automatically copy specific fields from new rows in one sheet to another

Huntb2000
Huntb2000
edited 12/09/19 in API & Developers

Hi Folks,

We have an intake sheet / form and a separate project sheet.

Goal is to automatically copy specific fields from new rows in the Intake sheet (source) to a different Project sheet (destination) each time a new row is entered by users.

When a new row is entered, we want to copy (as a new row) specific fields from the Intake row to the Project sheet, only copying if the value in a specific column in the Intake sheet is set.

We have tried Zapier but can't figure out how to get it to copy the 'new' row, it wants a specific row in the rule (we are new to Zapier so this may be an easy solve but we sure can't fine it).

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I think this can be set up with Zapier but it might be a quite advanced workflow. 

How many cells do you want to copy to the other sheet?

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thanks Andree!

There will be about 20 cells from the row that need to be copied over.

I thought about linking from the intake to the project sheet but that seems like it could get out of sync quickly.

Also considered copying the entire row and just hiding the columns we don't need from the intake on the project sheet.  (The bigger picture is the Intake form feeds two different project sheets depending on the type of request - ONce I figure out how to move to one I can use that for the other.

Also thought of always copying the top row and having the form set to insert at top - but the row ID I believe stays with the row, even if it moves to a different row number.

All else fails the team will have to manually copy the cells (or row) each time for now.

Thanks again for your help on this - much appreciated!

Hunt

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help!

Does the row/cells have to be copied? Would work if we linked it up with cross-sheet formulas instead?

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Zevy L
    Zevy L ✭✭✭

How are cross-sheet formulas done? I'm wondering if this might be the solution to my problem...

I have one sheet with a row for each job. In this row we have one column for monitoring a government website for updates to come in. (When it comes in, we can proceed). While waiting for the update to come in, we set up an automation to copy the row from the source sheet to another sheet for items to be monitored daily.

Some rows have more than one item to be monitored. What we would like to set up is having one column titled "Item to monitor #1", "Item to monitor #2", and so on. When it gets moved to the destination sheet for monitoring, I would like the #1, #2 (and so on) to be removed and they should all come into a column titled, "Item to monitor". Smartsheet was not able to help me with that and said that perhaps Zapier has something.

Can you assist? 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Zevy L

It sounds like we should be able to add a so-called helper column to the Destination sheet with a formula that takes the values from The Item to monitor columns and combines them.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!