Sending Alerts to Contacts w/o Sharing

Art Schneiderheinze
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I have a sheet with information that is not confidential yet isn't information I want to share with all vendors. The managers who can view the sheet already need to see all of the information currently in the sheet. (As the owner, I have other information in columns hidden from other's views )

I set up alerts to go to vendors when a manager approves a task. The vendor has no reason to view the sheet, but I want to keep them updated on the status of a task.

I set up automated alerts to trigger when the status is changed, but I am getting an email that the recipients (who are just vendors and do not use or need to see info on sheet) cannot receive alerts unless I share the aheet with them.

Any work around? I don't want vendors to be able to access or view the sheet. Anyway Smartsheet can still send them an alert? They are are already added as Contacts in the Sheet.

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Yes, you have to change the Automation Permission setting to Unrestricted, and then they won't need to be shared to the sheet.

Hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• ipeat
    ipeat ✭✭

Our Automation Permission setting is Unrestricted, however the send to contacts in cell automation is only sending to Smartsheet users. Normal send function works fine with same contact.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

That's strange!

If you haven’t already, I would recommend that you reach out to the Smartsheet Support Team. Smartsheet Support Team

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• ipeat
    ipeat ✭✭
    edited 07/16/19

There are sheet specific automation permission as well as system-level automation permissions.

Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 9.13.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 9.13.51 AM.png

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

In the Advanced Options of the Workflow, you can change what to include. (see attached screenshot)

Did it work?

Hope that helps!

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Adcanced options - Column visibility.png

• Ramsay Zaki
    Ramsay Zaki ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have my Automation Permissions set to Unrestricted in at the Account Admin level. However, when I create a new sheet, it defaults to Restricted. I can change it to Unrestricted for that sheet but it doesn't default to Unrestricted. How can I default it such that all newly created sheets get the Unrestricted setting?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Ramsay,

Adding the same answer from another post so other easily can find it.

@Ramsay Zaki

It's by design for security reasons.

Automation Permissions

Control who can receive automation from sheets based on their sheet access and relationship with your organization. Options are organized from Restricted (only users shared to the sheet) to Unrestricted (any email address and third-party integration, such as Slack).

Keep the following behavior in mind:

All sheets are created with Restricted permissions, so sheet owners and admins must manually make automation less restrictive at the sheet-level if desired.

Sheet owners and admins will only be able to select sheet-level automation permissions that are equally or more restrictive than the account-level automation permissions.

If any sheets are Unrestricted or Limited, and you set the account to be more restrictive, then those sheets will automatically adopt the more restrictive setting. However, if you then set the account to be less restrictive, then the sheets will return to their prior state unless they were manually set to be more restricted than the account settings.

If a sheet is manually set to Restricted or Limited permissions, and you adjust the account-level automation permissions to be less restrictive, the sheets will remain unchanged

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

• Is it possible to send alert to contact in cell and also to specific people/Cc me on notification.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Narasimhamurthy Prahaladarao

Yes, you can add another Action to include specific people.

Make sense?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!