Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Working Instructions

Si Spence
Si Spence ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

Hello, Happy Friday!

Some column headings that i have set up could benefit by having additional instructions pop up to aid the person completing the sheet with best practice.

can this be done please?

Comments

• JLC
    JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Does the user have to physically work within the sheet? Does the option exist for them to fill out a form that feeds into the sheet instead? That way, you could set up the column headers to read whatever you'd like within the form, as well as add any additional details. For example, our sheet has a column called "End date", but on the form it read "Estimated date of project closeout" with additional details on what must be completed before that date. Or, you can perhaps create an area with "resources" at the top or bottom of the sheet that the user could expand and see a detailed explanation of each column.

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Good suggestion Jaye. 

What I think will suit Simon is to create a Row at Row 2 for those instructions within that row according to the column notes, then in Row one "Parent Row"  it can read "Instructions here" and below it a child of Row so it is not visible unless required. 

That will keep the sheet clean but the users have their Instructions. 

Hope that helps. 

Richardr 

• Si Spence
    Si Spence ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Richard, I appreciate the input and I will try as you suggest.  What I'd really like to see is a 'hover' function...maybe i'll put a request in.

• Si Spence
    Si Spence ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Jane,  Thank you for your suggestion, although we need people working in the sheets really.  We do have some 'Forms' being used and I can see how this would work, just not in this particular scenario.

Thanks again,  Si. 

• Hi Si,

Thanks for the suggestion - we agree that a hover function would be great, I've got this on my Enhancements list!

Best,

Kara

Smartsheet Product Manager

• Si Spence
    Si Spence ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Kara, I'll look forward to that. :)

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I added my vote by submitting a Product Enhancement Request.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.