Scan Barcodes with the Smartsheet Mobile Apps

Shaine Greenwood
Shaine Greenwood Employee
edited 03/29/19 in General Announcements

You can now use your device's camera, as well as the Smartsheet mobile app to scan barcodes to search for or input data in your sheets.

IMPORTANT: You'll need to update to the latest version of the Smartsheet app for iOS or Android, and your device must have a camera in order to use this feature.

For more information on this feature, including a list of supported 1D and 2D barcodes, see the respective help article:

Tags:

Comments

• Jacob H.
    Jacob H. ✭✭✭✭

This is really cool, but I don't see the barcode icon on the edit or search screens. Is there an app update needed?

• You need to update the app to see the new barcode feature. I should've mentioned that in my announcement.

[Scrambles to edit original post.]

• Jacob H.
    Jacob H. ✭✭✭✭

Got it!  The possibilities are mind boggling. Hopefully it's not too early suggest being able to scan barcodes on web form entries within the app.smiley I can think of several uses for that.

• It's never too early to make suggestions on how we can improve Smartsheet.

When you have a moment, please submit a Product Enhancement Request using the form under Quick links on the right of the Community site.

That ensures that your feedback goes straight to our Product team for review.

Glad you're enjoying the new feature!

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Is there anyway to access this via desktop for development purposes? like post a picture of the barcode i have saved on my computer so I can see the output format and build/test my references?

• Hi Luke—

This feature is currently only available in the mobile apps; there isn't a way to scan barcodes (or images of barcodes) on the desktop browser version of Smartsheet at this time.

• 203jk
    203jk ✭✭

This is great to be able to scan barcodes,  Is there a way to add a barcode to a row so you can use this feature?  Otherwise how would one use this if there is no way to add a barcode to a row? ( i am new to barcodes so I may be missing something...)

• Jacob H.
    Jacob H. ✭✭✭✭

I would think that the barcode is typically external to Smartsheet.  For example, if you use a sheet to inventory stocked items, you could scan the barcode on the packaging into a "barcode" column as you add the items to your sheet. Then when searching for items in Smartsheet, scan the barcode on the packaging and it will bring up that line on your inventory.

If you still need an actual barcode on the sheet, this could be imported as a .jpg file.

• brkhen
    brkhen
    edited 06/07/18

Is there a way to demo the barcode feature; such as with inventory tracking? 

We are seeking an interim solution to track linen inventory for numerous events.  Knowing the count, condition, and location of all linen material in real-time is critical for event planning.  It appears that the ideal way to keep track of all materials would be using a barcode system to check in/out or update the status of specific linen material.  (i.e. location, laundry, stocked and ready for use.)

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
  • is there a way to create a form for the mobile application that will allow you to scan saved barcodes?

• Great to see this added.

However, I mange barcodes for coupons, not items. Is there a way to track UPC offers? Say, if I scan my barcode it'll tell me what discount pops up?

Thanks.

• Are there any developments on having access to the barcode scanner when putting data on web forms via the app?

• ChrisB
    ChrisB Employee

Yes! We launched barcode scanning in forms on mobile this week. It is now available within text/number fields in forms opened in the updated mobile apps.

• Great development! yes