Copying Alerts & Actions from sheet to sheet

Jose da Silva
Jose da Silva ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi all,

I have a set of 5 "Alerts & Actions" that I need to set up on 32 different sheets.

Is there a way of "copy and paste" those rules, instead of manually set them up on each sheet?

Thank you.

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Not through the UI.

The API does not allow CREATION of Alert Rules, but it does allow UPDATE. I have not had to test how this fully works yet, but it is on my list.

Have the 32 sheets been around 'for a while'? Sometimes in cases like this it is easier to bring over the data from the 32 sheets to 32 new versions that have the functionality (like Alerts, Conditional Formatting, Filters, and maybe others) than it is to recreate that functionality again. Seems backwards, but ... been there.

Craig

• Jose da Silva
    Jose da Silva ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I see what you mean.

Well, it doesn't save me as much time as I wanted, but at the end of the day it will save me some time.

Thanks for you help brainstorming this particular one.

• steven.reed14881
    steven.reed14881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depending on where you are with your sheet creation, the most effective way to do this is to do a 'Save As New' from your original sheet. In the 'Save As New' dialong box, you will see a 'Notification & Sharing Options' dropdown. Make sure you check the 'Notifications and Alerts & Actions Permission Settings' box. This will replicate your Alerts & Actions to all new sheets you create.

Let me know if there are additional questions on this.

Steve

• Jose da Silva
    Jose da Silva ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I created the sheets first, then I choose which rules should I apply on them.

Now I understand that I should've done like you are saying.

Next time I know how I should do.

Thanks!