Handling Construction Submittals via Forms

06/26/21

Good Day All,

We're a construction management company, and we're new to Smartsheet. We're trying to handle all submittals, revisions, approvals Online, using Forms for submittals, and Sheets to capture submissions.

I apologize for the lengthy post

I'm having the following issues:

• I was optimistic and tried to capture all types of submissions (MIR, IR, RFI, Shop Drawings Sub., etc) via on single Form and one Sheet. This is proving very difficult, so my question is, did anyone try this before?
  • Anyone has input on how to deal with Re-Submittals ? other than manually ?
  • How do you deal with Shop Drawing submittals, as contractors usually submit them in bulk. My idea for now is to capture the submittal, then manually copy them in a dedicated sheet where the approvals happen

What we achieved so far:

• Created a sheet with intake form
  • created a fillable PDF doc to Generate the Form to be printed and signed and archived
  • Created a workflow to send an email to the site engineer when the decision is made (Approved, as noted, etc) so that they send the Document to the contractor

Attached is a couple of screenshots of the sheet created. Input is totally random as we were just testing it.

Appreciate anyone's input.

Many Thanks,

Omar Roushdy

Comments

• Andrée StaråAndrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Omar Roushdy

I hope you're well and safe!

Which Smartsheet Plan do you have?

Have you explored the Premium App, Dynamic View, or/and if you have Enterprise or higher, WorkApps?

More info: 

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET PARTNER & CONSULTANT / EXPERT

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E: [email protected] | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me about help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or something else entirely.

• Hi @Andrée Starå ,

Thanks for the reply. We're running on a Business License.

I haven't explored the Apps you mentioned. It seems like they are not included in my plan as I don't seem them in the launcher.

We'll keep trying to figure it out, and I'll share our solution.

In the meantime, I'll still appreciate if anyone can give us some tips.

Best Regards,

Omar Roushdy

• We've build a complimentary document control solution on AWS and then used to api to maintain document links on the Smartsheet sheet. Essentially our solution, APDocs, stores the documents, Smartsheet does all the workflow and emails. Your managing sheet is templatised to give good repeatability. Means we can handle .ifc, etc

We'll come to market formally next month, however, with a partner who assembles the handover pack, we already have over 70 projects under our belt.

Reach out if that is of interest.

Brian

• Hi Brian,

Thanks for reaching out. I'm currently in Russia on a business trip. I should be back in office within a week. I'll get back to you then.

Best Regards,

Omar.