Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Dashboard Widgets - Borders and Backgrounds

Leibel S
Leibel S ✭✭✭✭✭✭

when adding metric widgets to a dashboard it is currently very difficult to separate different pcs of information.

A simple change for this would be to give the option for background colors and borders on the widgets (this can be extended to other widgets as well)

Tags:
55 votes

On Roadmap · Last Updated

Thank you for the specific suggestion here - we have also received broad feedback to make dashboards more aesthetically pleasing. We have numerous enhancements we plan to release this coming year to improve the experience so stay tuned!

Comments

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I give my vote for backgrounds/borders on all widgets. You can adjust the "cell fill" in a metrics widget, but that doesn't always look the best either.

• Leibel S
    Leibel S ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Paul Newcome

I have spent hours trying to work around this to visually differentiate pcs of data clearly, and every work around I found is severely flawed in some way or another.

This would also solve the general issue which is that currently the dashboards have so much extra 'white space' because the metric widgets don't fill itself, and you are forced to have space between each widget

• dhall
    dhall ✭✭✭

I'm currently building a dashboard that uses metrics as it's populating from a cell that updates each week, and as I have several metric widgets, I would like to "box" them off so that like-information is clearly seen with other like information in their respective metric widget. You have my vote!

• Sameer K
    Sameer K ✭✭✭✭

Additionally, also support vertical alignment (top/center/bottom) in the widget.

• Melitta
    Melitta ✭✭✭✭✭

Love these ideas. I'd also like to see a 'snap to fit' aspect to a dashboard so that you can set widgets into a particular location on the dashboard.

• tsavoie
    tsavoie ✭✭

It would be a nice feature on dashboards to be able to add a boarder around a widget. This would make the dashboard look more professional and could be used when you have lots of widgets and you are presenting to upper management.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi all,

You can now set custom colors for the background of your Dashboard and for your widgets! Here's the announcement post on the Dashboard updates that were just released.

The color selected for widgets will apply to Metric widgets, although it will add the same color to all of them at once. Please do continue to use this specific Idea post and thread to explain your use-case and how borders/individual colors would be beneficial to you.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• svenu
    svenu ✭✭✭✭

Hi Team,

We need to be able to set unique background colors and borders for each widget, sheet or report on a dashboard. Currently, we are able to select a background that applies to all, but can we please have this feature added?

Regards

Sowmya

Regards

Sowmya Venugopal

CI Analyst II, Niagara Bottling

• It would be very helpful if we could select widgets to set background colors and not all or nothing. For example, I would like to have gradient colors applied like pictured below but I can only do this on title widgets and I would like to apply them to metric widgets. Metric doesn't let you fill the background and if you use the cell formatting then there is a border and does not look good.

• Ravi D.
    Ravi D. ✭✭✭

Hello,

At present, only one color can be set for widget backgrounds, which applies to all widgets. We would like to have the option to select background colors on a per-widget basis. In the specific use case, being able to set individual background colors for metrics widgets would be helpful. See the attached images for an example of metrics with individual backgrounds.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Ravi D. In the meantime... You can apply conditional formatting to the cells in the sheet that you are pulling into your dashboard via the metrics widgets and use the format painter option in the widget to apply the conditional formatting to the widget. It doesn't fill the entire widget, but it does open up at least some flexibility for you.

• Ravi D.
    Ravi D. ✭✭✭

Thanks for the suggestion, Paul, I'll try this out and see if this will work for our purposes.

• Julie Becker
    Julie Becker ✭✭✭✭✭

I do this now for ours. I have to basically create a Dashboard helper sheet(s) that pulls the metrics into it, then apply all the different color formats i want/need rather then mess up the original sheets formatting (if i need it to be enhanced more = darker/lighter colors). Yes its more work to create a helper sheet for something that should already be available for us to use in the Dashboard itself, but we have to be creative while we continue to wait for basic features to be released.

Julie Becker ☠️

Construction Project Engineer / Coordinator & Software Program Oversight Mgr. 😉

Successful People Are Not Gifted; They Just Work Hard, Then Succeed On Purpose‼️