Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Conditional Formatting - Track Cost Fluctuation

Denise Quach
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I have a master list to track the cost of an item. Is there a way to format cells to change the font to Red or Green based on whether or not the value is higher than a previous cost? IE: In 2015 cost was $1 and in 2016 the cost rose to $2. I would want the 2016 cost to automatically turn Green to show that there was an increase in price or vice versa.

Conditional Formatting.png

Comments

• Atus Bartal
    Atus Bartal ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/26/16

Denise,

You need to have a new column with the difference, and set two Conditional Formatting rules for this column: 

If Difference is less than 0 then apply this format to the Difference column. ["this format" is: red letters]

If Difference is greater than 0 then apply this format to the Difference column. ["this format" is: green letters]

The problematic part of the operation, I guess, will be setting the right formulae counting the difference in the righ places (since the values are not in the same line). I mean these are "=Cost2-Cost5" or something, but they depend on where the specific values are. 

Please let us know if you need more help. 

atus

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You may also make use to the Absoulute Reference instead of Relative Reference.

Very similar to functionality in Excel if you are used to that

=[Row]Column

is relative. Add $ for either row or column and they become fixed -- but will update when rows/columns are added/removed. Sometimes the deletion might get you, but just watch for it.

=$[Row]$Column

This discussion has been closed.