Task list for a card view? (like trello?)

Jef Forward
Jef Forward ✭✭✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

We currently use a portfolio sheet that tracks our pipeline of clients and organizes them by stages. We love this sheet as it provides us with very useful management level information.  However, it does not allows us to manage the "work".  It just gives us an overview - which is the intention.  

To manage the work, we have a separate client centralized list of tasks that calls out the stages and intermediate steps, and lists all the nitty gritty things to be completed. They are assigned to people and with dates.  We have links to google docs and movie clips on how to complete the task.  We love it.  The only downside to this, is we have to use a printed flow chart and sticky notes to see where the client is (step) with-in the stage.

The card view could be a great solution for us, if we can get the tasks associated with the card. Can a "card" support a task list like a trello card can have a checklist?  This would have a huge impact for us.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Jef

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

HI Jef.

When you say "like Trello", I assume you don't mean you are also using Trello. 

In Smartsheet's Card View, do you want to update the tasks individually or only display them and mark them off as a group?

Craig

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Jef,

This might help!

Keep Cards Organized with Subtasks

Define relationships between tasks and organize subtasks with a parent task. Subtasks in Card View can be defined in both the Grid View and directly in Card View:

• Grid View—when rows are indented under a parent to create a hierarchical relationship. More on hierarchy in Indenting and Outdenting Rows.
    • Card View—when added as a subtask to another card directly. Click the Card Menu icon to expand the card and select Add Subtask to create a new subtask for that card. (Subtasks created this way are displayed as child rows to the task in Grid View.)

Please see the attached link/screenshot for more information.

https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2302238-using-card-view-to-visualize-your-project

I hope this helps you!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Jef Forward
    Jef Forward ✭✭✭✭

Craig - no, I am not using trello.   I dont plan to use trello.  I have included a screen grab as an example of their attachable checklist.  

To answer your question, it would be individually.  Thanks

Jef

Capture.JPG

• Jef Forward
    Jef Forward ✭✭✭✭

Andree,

Thank you for that clarification.  I see it now - however, I would have all of these subs tasks and levels associated with the each client in my pipeline, or portfolio sheet. If I have 25 clients, and each has 100 subtasks, that is a really big sheet. Seems really messy.  I have to digest this.  But thank you!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help!

Smartsheet makes it easy because you can choose how you want to view it and change between those views for when it makes sense to see it in another way.

A few ideas on how to set this up, dashboard with overview and tasks, one sheet per client with different reports, smart use of filters. Can you share the sheet(s) or some screenshots?

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Jef Forward
    Jef Forward ✭✭✭✭

Hi Andree, yes I can - where do I share them to?  Thanks

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Jef,

Please share/send to andree@getdone.se

Best,

Andrée

• I have the same request as J. Craig Williams. As I involve more associates, it seems as if I need to do more work in order to be more efficient, though I'd spend more time prepping for efficiency. I will continue to look for an alternative solution. Searchable tags for each row would be amazing as well. (just as there are searchable tags for each question)

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Jef,

How did it go? Did you manage to get something set up?

Did you share some information with me?

Best,

Andrée Starå - Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

There are workarounds to have tags for each row. Would that help for you so that you could continue to use Smartsheet?

I hope this helps you!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

• Donlorenzo
    edited 09/10/19

Hello,

I'd like to add to expand on original the request from Jef Forward. I have used Trello, Jira, Jet Brains, Pivotal Tracker, and others. Now I must use Smartsheet.  I cannot seem to find a simple checklist feature that is usable within each card. Sub-tasks are not the answer; they cause task-bloat, which is unnecessary.  All I am hoping to find is a simple checklist feature, a punch-list, etc. Again, sub-tasks are not the answer for my use case. I need a checklist for specific cards to ensure others know the simple things that must be done to complete one specific card or task.

Please contact me if you need further clarification.  I'm new to Smartsheet; therefore, if this feature already exists I would appreciate it if someone would school me...this is a critical feature that I need.

Thanks, Lorn

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Lorn,

Here are a few possible workarounds.

1. Columns with the checklist items instead but it's limited.
    2. Link out to another sheet, report or form.
    3. Using a third-party service like Google Forms or similar.

Would any of those methods work?

Hope that helps!

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

• Hi Andreee - I too am looking for a way to add a simple "to-do" list at the card view level without adding subtasks, dependencies, etc. We are using Microsoft Teams which Smartsheet integrates very well into. Teams has a Planner app which is very similar to Smartsheet card view that allows for a simple check list without affecting schedule, dependency, etc. My preference is to use one product - Smartsheet! However, we really like the look and feel of the to-do list. Does SmartSheet plan to introduce a to-do list any time soon? Until then, is there a way to integrate a third-party app like planner into Smartsheet?

Thanks,

James

Planner with to-do list.JPG

• I guess my question should have been directed at Smartsheet support but appreciate any input you may have. Thx - James

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi James,

Have you explored using the Dropdown (Multi-Select)? I've structured a few client solutions using that as a sort of checklist.

Would that work?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

work-bold