Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Sum rows that are not children

I am creating a SS that contains a row for each event and below children for event expenses. The top/parent row calculates the sum of the children beneath it. 

I would like to create a Totals row that calculates the sum of all the top/parent rows. Is this something SS does?

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Just indent all of the events under another parent.

The sum(children()) will only sum up the first level of children.

I hope this helps.

Craig

SS_SumChildren.jpg

• Jim Hook
    Jim Hook ✭✭✭✭✭✭

In situations like this I simply sum the entire column, including children, and divide the total by two since the parent rows already sum the children. That way I'm not sensitive to the parent/children structure.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Jim,

Except if there are more than two levels, then you'd need to know to divide by 3.

I have many sheets indented more than 2 times, but  not all of them.

Craig

• Amanda Williams
    edited 06/01/16

Craig, that worked perfectly (your first post) ! I just had to change my totals to the top of my sheet vs. the bottom, but that actually works better anyhow.

I'm not sure I understand how dividing by 2 or 3 does the trick, but I'm good to go.

Thank you both for your advice! 

• Atus Bartal
    Atus Bartal ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Craig and Jim,

Yes, I have project budget (plan, commitments, disbursements) in sheets that sometimes have 4 or 5 levels, like this one: 

This specific sheet has 220 rows, with lots of children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren... :)

I would be lost without the sum(children()) formula.

Atus

JAT.JPG

• Chander Gupta
    edited 02/20/17

Dear All,

How do we count the rows, after applying a filter?

Any idea?

Thanks for your help !

-

Chander.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Amanda,

In Jim's suggestion, he ends up counting everything twice so he divides by 2.

I was thinking that if you had three levels, you would count everything three times, but I might be wrong.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.