Card View Is Here!

Kennedy Stomps
Kennedy Stomps Employee
edited 12/13/18 in General Announcements

For those of you who have been asking about features to support agile methodologies, we have good news: Card View is here. If you want a head start on becoming a Card View pro, check out our new Help Center articles on visualizing your projects with Card View and creating, editing, and sharing cards. We’ll be releasing additional information on Card View on our home page in the next few days.

Card View can be used in any sheet that contains a dropdown list—and, for Trello users, we’ve added the ability to import a file from Trello.

Card View in Smartsheet functions much the way a Scrum or Kanban board does. Card View’s visual nature helps teams organize tasks, projects, and ideas into distinct groups that make those tasks easier to act on.

To see what else is included in the latest product update, please see the posted release notes.

Tags:

Comments

• When I try to click the button to "try card view" I just get an error saying the maximum number of sheets for my edition has been exceeded. 

• Hi Brian-- Can you provide me with the URL of the page where you are seeing a link to "Try Card View"? It sounds like this link is what we call a distribution link--a link that creates a new sheet directly in your Smartsheet account. If you aren't currently on a paid Smartsheet plan or 30 day trial, or if you're on a plan with a limited number of sheets, like a Basic plan, you may run into trouble with this link, as Smartsheet won't allow you to create a new sheet in your account. 

If you aren't on a paid plan or trial, or if you're out of sheets and would like to try out the Card View, please let me know and I'll reach out personally to see what we can do to help you get started with this new feature!

• Hi Kennedy - I might have missed it but is there plans to allow printing and exporting of the card view ?

regards

Clive

• How do I add totals to the top of the card lanes?

• Clive-- Those features are being considered by our Development team as potential improvements to the Card View functionality, I'll add your vote for printing and exporting to our Enhancement Request list! Are there specific programs that you would like to be able to export to, like Jira or Trello?

Karnan-- Currently, all of the data in each lane is based on the data in your sheets. If you wanted, you could create special rows in your sheet to serve as "formula" cards in your lanes. Check out the IT ticketing example in our Card View gallery for a real-life example of how this might work and feel free to reach out to the Support team at Support@Smartsheet.com if you run into any difficulty implementing this in your sheets!

• The uncategorized lane basicall displays everything I don't want to see, when getting my updates from the team. I would think that the default behavior would be to only display cards assigned to a lane. Is there a way to filer out the uncategorized lane?

Other than that, this is pretty awesome.

Thank you..

• Another one - is there a way to filter the cards similar to how we can use columns to filter in the grid view?

• Earl-- There isn't currently a way to hide lanes in the Card View, but I've added your vote for this to our enhancement request list. At this time, you'd need to set up a Filter in the Grid view to filter out rows with blank values in the column you've set as your View By column in the Card View.

Karnan-- You can set up a Filter in the Grid view and this filter will be reflected in the Card View. You will have the option to toggle an existing filter on and off in the Card View, but we don't yet support setting Filters in this view--I expect this is a product upgrade that will come after our Saved Filters improvement is released.

• Karnan Karunakaran
    edited 06/22/16

Thanks Kennedy - this workaround is good.

This card view functionality is impressive.

Ball park timing for "Saved Filters" improvement?

• Hi Karnan-- I don't have a ballpark on that feature at this point, but it's definitely on the horizon. When it's released, I think it will make organizing and filtering cards significantly easier, so I'm looking forward to it as much as you! :)

• Hey Karnan, 

We are actively working on saved filters right now. We will also have several additional releases on Card View. This is just our first release so keep the feedback coming! 

Thanks!

Robin

• Is there a way to use card view from a report? I currently manage 9 projects and have a report that shows me all of the open action items for those projects on one sheet. I would LOVE to be able to use card view for that!!!

I didn't see where I could change to card view on the report. Or maybe there is a workaround I could do? 

Thanks,

Jamie 

• Jamison
    Jamison ✭✭✭✭✭

came here to ask the same question as Jamie.

Card view for reports is more important that card view for sheets. Any sheet can be made a report in its entirety, but I don't think you can't go from report to a sheet.

• Or initial release does not include the ability to have a card view for reports. There are some complexities to the behavior around card rank that we would like to discuss with customers. Would either of you be up for a phone call? 

• If you're excited about Card View, I'd like to invite you to join us next Wednesday at 10am PT and 4pm PT for a live webinar hosted by Erin Harlan to learn more about card view and how you can use it.

Register for the webinar here. Hope to see you then!