Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

VLOOKUP Function

Options

Comments

• One more vote for me as well please. Vlookup roadmap is required. 

Thank you inadvance for voting. 

Thx.

Sam

• Jodie Newman
    Jodie Newman ✭✭
    edited 04/19/16
    Options

Please add my vote for VLOOKUP, this is a definate need.

• DanS
    DanS ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is there a workaround for VLOOKUP functionality?

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Dan,

Depending on what you are looking for exactly.

A lot of people use VLOOKUP for something that can be done other ways.

Contact me off line to discus.

jcwill23@gmail.com

Craig

• Dave D
    Options

DanS, depends on the complexity of what you are trying to do.

You can build nested IF statements to simulate a VLOOKUP but those can get huge pretty quickly. 

• DanS
    DanS ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I would like the vlookup functionality to assign a computed value in a cell based on another cell that would be looked up as a key to a cell range.  Much like how vlookup is used in Google spreadsheets and MS Excel.

• Mario K M
    Options

The workaround I use (which may not work for all cases), I export to Excel perform the vlookup funciton then copy/paste the data back.  The key for this to work, don't sort or move rows once you export from SmartSheet.

Yes, I know, it's a pain but that will have to do until SS team expands the functionality.

• Lloyd Morris-Fletcher
    edited 05/19/16
    Options

Huge vote for Vlookup it's an essential for our account 

Anyway of pulling in all ranges based on a value matching another sheet currently?

I.e.

We list all actions on sheet 1

Sheet 2 poulates only with actions that have a Design title etc. (automatically) 

• Ruben Lugt Melsert
    edited 05/20/16
    Options

Please add my vote also for the VLOOKUP function.. I have to build nested IF statements now for something that a vlookup function will make a lot more powerfull...

Copy/paste to/from Excel will not do the trick for me unfortunately ;-(

• Tina Rubin
    Options

Another vote fro vloopup and match...please!!

• Chee Yuen Chan
    Options

VLOOKUP, MATCH and INDEX are tools for survivial!  Absolutely a must.  Any news about the timeline that they will be implemented?  There havent been a reply about the time line for a while now...

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

So SS gang????

Any news on this?  VLOOKUP alone will save me hours per week of: "copy to excel, do the vlookup, and then copy back (but not more than 500 rows at a time!!)"  Right now I'm writing scripts to do the work, but it's much easier to tell my users that it just works than to try and teach them to use scripts and pray that the script/user works perfectly each time.

An update please.

• Gordon
    Gordon ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Same here!  VLookup would solve some major backend manual work in Excel for us.

• Steve Gray
    Options

We too would love to see Vlookup functionality.

JamesR postsed a very good comment in another discussion July 13th 2015 https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/drop-down-list-data-column-another-sheet that starts "I believe what people here are looking for is not Vlookup etc but more like dynamic centerally stored lists that can be used in the Dropdown fields rather than having to type them in each time they want to use them in a new column."

This dynamic centraly stored list functionality is exactly what we need to overcome data becoming distorted in our company due to people using incorrect data on dropdown lists that get spread across the company,

I see this as a far more IMPORTANT and URGENT issue than recent features such as Sights & Cardview (which we wont be using).

Thanks Smatsheet!!

• Tony Mohr
    Options

What's the latest on the new formula engine which will include vlookup or a function similar?

This discussion has been closed.