Macro or VBA funtions

Jim Cobb
Jim Cobb ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I'd like to be able to create a macro or VBA code that would allow me to create a job folder on our local server using data from my smartsheet.

The VBA code in Access looks like this:

Private Sub cmdCreateCaseFolder_Click()

If Dir("\\MA021SFS01\NorthEast_EWP\2018CaseFolders\" & Me.Project# & "-" & Me.Project Name & "-" & Me.Company.Column(1) & "-Case " & Me.ID, vbDirectory) = "" Then

MkDir ("\\MA021SFS01\NorthEast_EWP\2018CaseFolders\" & Me.Project# & "-" & Me.Project Name & "-" & Me.Company.Column(1) & "-Case " & Me.ID)

End If

End Sub

I'd also like to be able to create a hyperlink to the folder using a macro similar to the shortcut key Control-K in MS Excel or Access.

Is there a way to accomplish this in SS?

Thank you,

Jim

Comments

• Hi Jim,

You'd likely need to build this using the Smartsheet API, as Smartsheet doesn't have macro/VBA functionality at this time.

Our full API documentation is available here: https://smartsheet-platform.github.io/api-docs/

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Jim

Our development team at SBP are working with VBA & Access and finding better ways to work using the API with some excellent results so far. 

If you would like to discuss your needs with the head of our Developer team, I can introduce you and it may help us both refine what is desired by the many and what may just be a one off, and so have limited potential? 

Having launched our Smarter Dropdown List Manager solution in September which is selling well, we are deciding on the functionality for our next release we are calling Mini Control Center. You or others may wish to contribute? 

Regards

RichardR

• Ccruse
    Ccruse
    edited 02/07/19

Richard

I came across your thread on the use of Excel type macros is SS. I've spent the last few days trying to build one in Excel thinking it could be used in SS (where I need it). Is this type of function available?

Embarrassingly, mine is simple but the solution is not forth coming.

Thanks

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi CCruse

I have good news for you. Mainly because the tool of choice for many of our clients .... after Smartsheet ofcourse ! is Excel and so over the last few months our development team have been using all the available tools to create Automation between Excel and Smartsheet. What you describe is just one of them. We are even using APIs to uplift data from SQL and MySQL, Excel or CSV into Smartsheet for action.

I am just taking a week or so off to recover from a Hip replacement operation but we now have a team of 14 who can resolve this for you. 

Can I suggest you email my colleague Sean.Power@smarterbusinessprocesses.com who will arrange a screenshare Call to discuss the solution your need?