Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

"Publish User is now viewing this sheet" displays on unpublished sheet

Joey
Joey
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I briefly enabled publishing on a sheet by clicking on the "Publish" tab, selecting the "Edit by anyone" slider, and then selecting the "only available to users in the owners account" radio button. Publishing the sheet didn't work for what I was trying to do and so I decided to turn it off. I did so by clicking the "Publish" tab and moving the "Edit by anyone" slider back to off.

Now when I open up the sheet it still shows that "Publish User" is viewing the sheet.

I also tried closing and reopening the sheet, and even logging completely out and back in without any difference. What's going on here? I don't want "Publish User" to be able to access this sheet!

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Comments

• Jason
    Jason Employee

Disabling publish 'should' close the sheet for any publish viewers within a short time after disabling it. If this is not happening I'd recommend contacting support and have them look into it.  Support@Smartsheet.com 

• Hi Joey-- To confirm, if a user happens to still have the published sheet open in their browser after it's unpublished, it's possible that they'll still show us as "Publish Viewer" on your view of the sheet. However, Jason is right--the sheet should refresh and remove their access to the information shortly after it is unpublished. Hope this helps!

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Ah, but here's the security hole - unless something forces a user to close a sheet, they can still see it.

I've deleted sheets in one user and had another user (me) with the open sheet still available much later.

I haven't tried it recently, but it will be easy to do so.

I assume this applies to Published sheets as well.

Craig

• Hi Craig-- Good point. I know this is something our Development team is looking into, as well as ways to possible resolve-- I'll flag this post as one to be updated once we have more information on this.

This discussion has been closed.