Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Task completion updates

Kevin Jacques
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

Hi, I have created a production schedule sheet which is viewed by the guys in the workshop. I'm trying to find the best way for them to give me updates on task completion. I dont want to give them editor access to the sheet because this them the ability to change the row details (resource). I have a %complete coulmn which ideally I would like for them to only update this coiumn.

I have thought about copying the whole sheet and linking cells back and forth but this would be very difficult to manage. Or to use a web form to update the column but I dont think this is possible.

Any thoughts?

Production Schedule.JPG

Comments

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/22/15

Kevin

Simple solution, give your workshop people Editor rights only, then Lock all the columns except the one(s) you want them to edit. Hope that helps? Richardr

• Thanks Richard, I have just been trying that however editors can delete rows :(
    If I lock the rows they then cant edit the cells either.

Its almost as if I need to lock the whole sheet apart from one column.

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would do exactly that Kevin and also issue a protocol for collaborators to understand what is.... and ISNT expected of them when working with you. Most people appreciate that clarity especially when there are so many benefits to a range of collaborators with your work... ie dont let the team down!  Good Luck. Richardr

• Its not really how I want to do it as it puts my sheet at risk of people deleting rows etc. 
    Perhaps Im using it a little different from the way it is intended. I personally like the idea of individual cells being editable/lockable. Or even using a web form to update existing rows.

It think if i was clever I could embed some code into our website to modify cells... But it should be simpler.

Thanks for you advice.

Kevin

This discussion has been closed.