Indent or minimising rows

Stuart.d
Stuart.d ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi, 

I have several standard grid sheets that are populated via webforms,  we are based within the UK. 

The issue I have is that I don't seem able to include "indent" function to the rows (i'd like to indent per month), as the sheets are growing huge as we have a lot of data being submitted from remote and field workers. So our project managers are having to scroll right past all the historical data to see the relevant fields and its becoming a pain. 

What can we do to include this function and make the sheets feel less overloaded?

Regards

Stuart  

Comments

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Indentation would have to be done manually. There is no way to automate it based off of form submissions or otherwise. You could also use a filter or report to pull the relevant data.

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You could also make your forms add new rows to the top of the sheet instead of the bottom. That would circumvent scrolling. But I second, Paul's idea of creating a report. A report can pull from one or more sheets and can be filtered based on content in the sheet itself. If you are capturing the dates the rows are added in a system column type, for instance, you could only include rows that are 60 days old or newer. Or if you're tracking completions statuses, you could include rows that are not complete. That would eliminate unnecessary information for your users. Here are some links on making reports.

https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/522214-creating-reports

https://help.smartsheet.com/videos/smartsheet-reports

• Hi, 

Thanks for the feedback both! 

It won't let me manually indent. It Just doesn't include the minimising button, the ident icons do not appear when I add a row to the top, but when I try indent from rows beneath the ident icons do appear but nothing happens when I select the button.  I use this function on other sheets (that are not populated by webforms) to good effect, however its simply not doing it on the sheets with forms. 

I've found the option to have the form populate the top of the sheet, however is there a way to spin the existing data around? 

As this will only work for new submissions and then confuse our processes,

Regards 

Sign off snap.PNG

Not allowing indent.PNG

Allowing indent.PNG

• Paul.Koetke
    Paul.Koetke ✭✭✭

To flip your current data, sort your current data by the Submitted column.

Paul Koetke

Upwork - Smartsheet Consultant

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Stuart,

Smartsheet mentioned functionality that is coming for moving rows and more and that might help. We'll have to wait and see how it will work.

I hope this helps you!

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The indentation issue could be caused by a blank cell in your primary column. To indent row 2 you MUST have data in the primary column of row 1. To indent row 3, you need data in the primary column of row 2, etc. In your screenshot where you have row 2 selected as the start of your range, there is no data in the row above it.