System: Created By as Contact List?

JeffG
JeffG
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I have a form that's only accessible to registered Smartsheet users. I believe that means that the System: Created By field will always be an email address. 

In that case, is it possible to use the System: Created By column as a Contact List for things like Notifications and Update Requests? That would be more efficient and accurate (w/o typos) than requiring people using the form to type in their email address. 

If not, please consider adding this functionality. 

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 11/01/18

Hi Jeff,

It's possible. I remembered incorrectly. 

Unfortunately, it's not possible but great idea.

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I second Andree's notion. That would be a good enhancement. Please submit! 

• Hi Jeff,

If you have a "created by" system column set up, you can indeed use that as a recipient for notifications and update requests, just like a contact column; there's no need to actually make it a contact column. This can be very useful if you want to automatically send update requests or notifications to the person who submitted the form. Since you are requiring Smartsheet login to submit the form, there is no need for the user to enter their email address, because it will be populated automatically in the system column.

So if I'm understanding you correctly, it's already possible to accomplish what you are asking. But please let us know and provide additional detail if I'm misunderstanding you.

Thanks!

Daniel

• JeffG
    JeffG
    edited 11/01/18

Possibly I need to report a bug then. Because Smartsheet does indeed let me choose the Created By column for Alerts, etc. (see attached Alerts.jpg - top image)

But then I receive an email stating the recipient is invalid (see attached Email.jpg - bottom image)

It seems sharing the sheet with whoever filled out the form alleviates the issue, but I don't want to share the sheet with everybody that fills out the form or could fill out the form. Also I don't want my internal process visible to that many people. 

Alerts.jpg

Email.jpg

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 11/01/18

Yes, of course, it's possible. I remembered incorrectly. Sorry about that!

To get it working you'll have to choose a less restrictive sharing setting in the Alerts & Actions Permissions section that you'll find in the Alerts & Actions overview (cog in the top right).

Did that do the trick?

Best,

Andrée

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• JeffG
    JeffG
    edited 11/02/18

That did it, thanks everyone for your help! 

Looking back at the "Invalid recipients" emails I see now I clearly wasn't understanding the first line. 

1. Check your Alerts & Actions Permissions. Open the Alerts & Actions menu at the top of your sheet and select Manage Alerts & Actions. Click the Settings icon to modify permission levels to include the invalid recipients.

Perhaps some additional clarification for the Settings icon (cog in the top right, like Andree pointed out) would be helpful? I had never even noticed the cog.