Dynamic View: Give access for requestors via their email address

BigAl
BigAl ✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi Community,

we are using Status View at the moment to share the actual status of IT requests (Demands) to the requestors of different department. The access is given to the requestor via their email address they have to maintain while handing in the request and then they have to login in to status view with this email address and then ONLY see their own requests which is controlled via this email address.

As I understood we have to switch from Status View to Dynamic View within the next month, my question is how this is possible in Dynamic View. In the sharing section of Dynamic View you can either choose share it with user names (which does not help as these requestors are not in our contact list) or with a domain (which does not help as we have to restrict it to the requestor's own request only).

Hope you can help me out here...

Thanks

Alex

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Alex,

Unfortunately, you have to add the requestor as a user in your Smartsheet account. Maybe there is a workaround because you're coming from Status View but none that I'm aware of.

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

NOTE: You also need a Smartsheet account to access the Dynamic View app. You’ll be guided through steps to set up a free Smartsheet account when you first access the Dynamic View app (with the link below) and click the Log In with Smartsheet Account button.

I hope this helps you!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Tim Meeks
    Tim Meeks ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@BigAl,

did you figure out a solution? We have purchased this premium app and we will have referrals submitted that need to be assigned to employees based on the county the referral is in. 

Thinking we are going to have to assign the Contact List - Current User Filter manually so it can then be viewed by 12-14 users based on the defined view.

Tim

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Tim,

Did you get it working? I'm thinking that the solution would be to use the formulas in contact columns now that's possible.

Would that work?

Hope that helps!

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Tim Meeks
    Tim Meeks ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Andree,

Thanks for checking in. Yes!  I was able to get it working. 

I'm using 2 sheets: one that holds a county and associated user's email.

Another sheet has a Vlookup in the Contacts column pointed to the above sheet and is pulling the email based on the county.  

I am then able to use Dynamic view to ONLY show that user a record based on the county they are associated with.

One question for you or anyone using Dynamic view or Vlookup.

I have 2 instances where multiple people are assigned to the same county.  The Dynamic view is only displaying the first user in the Vlookup list that is assigned.  

Is there a way to have it look for both instances and display the record in Dynamic view for each person associated with the county value?

thanks!

Tim

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help!

Glad to hear that you got it working!

Unfortunately, I don't know how to do that in Dynamic View.

I'll get back to this post if I figure it out!