Using Smart Sheet and Web Form to manage testing

Options
irene
irene
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi,

Are there any recommendations you can provide to using Smart Sheet and Web Form as workaround to traditional testing applications to manage repetitive testing (case management and result gathering) across multiple users performing same test case?

I'm currently using a reporting template but there are numerous limitations.  Volume being one of them as test cases likely need to be horizontally laid out.

Alternative I am thinking about is using multiple reporting sheet with grouped result running to a lead sheet by links.  However, this can also be cumbersome due to volume.

Requirement:

1) The Web Form should allow population of results and editable for changes to results.  I have referenced another discussion thread that this can be done via rules but what if the tester's name is unknown before test starts?

2) Can structurally manage 100 to 150 test cases and results across 150+ users

3) Result layout can be manipulated to allow statics gathering (e.g. % completion overall, % completion for section x testing)

Expectation: systematically manage high volume of results to help isolate and categorize pass/ fail results 

Thanks,

Irene

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Irene,

Maybe it could work that all the testers had their own sheets with their forms and then use reports or other sheets to consolidate everything.

Another option could be to have one sheet with different forms.

Would that work?

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• irene
    Options

Thanks Andree for the quick reply!  I am so far working off the second option -- one sheet with different forms but that would mean 1 column = 1 user's result.  However, if additional statics and feedback are needed (e.g. comments column and initials for sign off) then it becomes 3 columns = 1 user results.  If this is taken by volume, it can become overwhelming very easily as it would mean 450 columns of results.  

However, looking into your initial suggesting of separate forms with each user having their own sheet, this idea is suitable as well.  

For both methods, would the "edit" function on the Web Form rule still work?  Can I designate more than 1 person which the rule can be applied for to make edits?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Happy to help!

Yes, the rule could be configured on all sheets so that an update request could be sent automatically.

Would that work?

Best,

Andrée

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• irene
    Options

Thanks Andree.  Can I designate more than 1 person which the rule can be applied for to make edits?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 11/13/18
    Options

You could have the update request sent to either a specific person(s) or to a person in a contact column on that row.

Two different people could get the update request but only one can update it.

Maybe it could work with different reports also?

Would that work?

• Sandra Healey
    Options

Hi, did anyone have this work for them? I'm looking to do the same thing. I think one sheet capturing results with the test script questions being forms which when completed call to the next step or form...... I'm not sure if there is a way to do that?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Sandra Healey

Answering here as well!

I'd recommend starting with a form and then continue with Update Requests as needed.

Make sense?

Would that work?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!