Revert to older version

MichelleBohn
MichelleBohn ✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in API & Developers

Can I revert to an older version of a sheet from last night?  In the history I don't see where someone sorted the rows, so I'm not sure what happened?  I thought there was a way to revert to a certain time of day?  I don't know anything about a back up so this information would be helpful too?

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, at this point, there is no way to revert your file. 

• MichelleBohn
    MichelleBohn ✭✭✭✭

crying @Mike Wilday - Thanks for your response. 

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Do be aware that there is a view history that can help determine who last edited a cell. But I don't think that will tell you who sorted it. 

Try right-clicking on a cell and choose > View History.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Michelle,

There is also the Activity Log where you can see a complete log and even export it.

I hope this helps you!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• MichelleBohn
    MichelleBohn ✭✭✭✭

Yes, thank you it was a sort issue, I tried to look in history to what happened, only good thing is the whole row was moved or I would have had a bigger mess on my hands.   Thanks again

• IanN
    IanN Employee
    edited 11/14/18

Hi Michelle,

It's possible that the Support Team could get you an Excel export of your sheet prior to the Sort. If you submit a ticket, we'd be happy to see if one is available. Just be sure to let us know the name of the sheet an the approximate time that the sort took place. 

I should note that the exports only contain the Grid Data and Comments but don't include any Attachments on the rows. 

https://help.smartsheet.com/contact

Thanks!

Ian

Smartsheet Support

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@IanN - Does the excel version contain all of the formulas and information as it lived in smartsheet? 

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

also if you didn't have the sheet sorted before you could add a "Created" column and sort by that column to get it sorted by the creation date. there's a good chance that will make the sheet at least resemble what it used to, and you can remove the created column after.

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Good thinking Luke! 

• IanN
    IanN Employee

Hi Mike,

The Excel sheet will contain Grid Data and Comments. We may be able to get the formulas, but because of the transition to Excel, formulas could be off by a row (e.g. export from Smartsheet will have Headers on row 1 in Excel, so all cell references move down). That can cause confusion so it's not a standard functionality to provide the formulas. We'd need a ticket to look into it, but we're happy to do that. 

Best Practice moving forward would be to run weekly backups on important sheets (which would contain everything): https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/506499-backing-up-your-data.

Thanks!

• chal
    chal ✭✭

Kind of ridiculous to offer a way to view the activity log, yet not allow for the user to revert back to the previous sheet before a mistake was made, don't ya think?.  This complaint is all over Google, yet continues to be ignored.   What is the reasoning behind this?  Is it fun to irritate paying customers?  Am I here for your amusement?

Any logical explanation would suffice.  I'll even take the excuse that your developers are lazy and don't entertain product improvements because they are busy playing fortnite. Anything to make me feel better about the hours of work I lost by accidentally hitting the browser back button instead of the undo button.....

• Finding this thread, and realizing comments go back almost 2 years. I'm shocked to learn this feature is not available. Seems totally obvious for an online tool to be able to revert for those "oops" moments. Many other tools have this ability.

• Every day I spend 10 minutes Requesting a backup of all my workgroups, then downloading the backups to my file server where it is backed up to offline and multiple offsite drives. It backs up every single sheet as an excel file, including attachments. Worst case scenario I still have all the critical data in the sheets and can reconstruct them. Are I.T. professionals seriously depending on their cloud providers to backup their mission critical data?? Call me old school, but I want my data on a physical device that I can hold in my hands and cuddle in bed on cold, rainy nights. This is why I chose smartsheet, because they allow you to save your data in a form that can be read from any device (literally any computer or smartphone can read an excel file or csv) that I can store anywhere I want. Put in the effort to back up your stuff EVERY DAY and you'll save yourself some headaches. As for the roll back feature, YES please implement this Smartsheet!!!!

• Anes
    Anes ✭✭

Hi,

Is there anything new on this feature? A timeline for when the "Revert to older version" feature will be released?

It is quite a crucial feature, and quite standard for most software today...

Thanks!

Anes

• Peta
    Peta ✭✭

Has there been any update to allow version history to sheets?

It's very frustrating that the platform doesn't offer this, and normal practice in most software these days. Currently users can easily delete rows and we have no way of retrieving that lost data, only a notification that a row was deleted, or doing hourly back ups which we don't want to do.