Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Why can't I send a weekly update request for a whole sheet - not just a row / web form

Anna Coombes
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I would like to send a regular Update request for a  whole sheet - not just a row in a sheet.

Alternatively I would like to be able to set an Alert to go out automatically every week / fortnight / day rather than according to a specific date.

At the moment I have to set up individual alerts to go out every fortnight. which is not ideal.

Thanks!

Comments

• I agree that it would be great to be able to send out update requests on a recurring basis!

• Brett Evans
    Brett Evans ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You can send you sheet via email on a weekly basis.  Send it as a PDF and reind people in the body of the recurring email to go update their stuff.  You can also make a report based on what is assigned to individual users or their department and send that report weekly.  Then they are only seeing things that they own.

• Hi Anna-- Great question. We don't currently offer the ability to send update requests on an entire sheet and this is not a functionality that we are planning to add in the near future. In the meantime, however, you can send recurring update requests on individual rows by clicking the "Edit" button in the Delivery section, or use this workaround to set up recurring Reminders. Brett's suggestion might also be an option. Hope this helps!

• Chris Winfield
    Chris Winfield ✭✭✭✭✭

I find it very frustrating, particularly as Smartsheet used to have this facility and it was removed with an update a while ago. We work with over 100 project sheets and I would love the ability to be able to set up regular update reminders for the project managers that included a link to the sheet. Many of them only use smartsheet for the purpose of updating a single project plans so it would save them having to go to the website, log in, go to home and search for their sheet.

An easy way to implement this would be to use the existing "send sheet" function that Brett mentioned, but to have a tickbox that adds a link to the sheet in the email. Do you think this simple change could be suggested to the development team Kennedy?

Thanks,

Chris

• Hi Chris-- That would be a possible fix that I hadn't considered before! I'll bring that up to our Product team in my meeting with them today--I meet regularly with the team to directly pass along input from the Community :)

• Chris Winfield
    Chris Winfield ✭✭✭✭✭

Fab - this really would be a big deal for us, and I could imagine a large number of other people too.

Thanks,

Chris

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Chris,

To resolve this (or minimize the pain):

Many of them only use smartsheet for the purpose of updating a single project plans so it would save them having to go to the website, log in, go to home and search for their sheet.

Here are a few features to be aware of:

1. Favorites

- once they are looking at the sheet in question, select the sheet menu (the down arrow icon on the sheet's tab) and select "Add to Favorites"

Favorites appear in the Favorites section at the very top of the Home pane.

2. Use the link to the sheet

If you go to the Sheet Properties dialog, you can get the secure link to the sheet.

They can put that whereever they can put a URL - in a bookmark, in a email link, on their desktop and select to open the sheet directly.

I hope this helps.

Craig

• ALAIN-STEPHANE
    ALAIN-STEPHANE ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks BRETT , 

I enjoy the idea of the report !

This discussion has been closed.