Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Calendar Coding Possibility

Dr. Holly Pope
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

I am a project manager and assign items to various vendors. I am wondering if there is a way to have the vendors color coded in the calendar view, so that I could look at one calendar and know who has bandwidth? My workaround is to add information in my master sheet and then add to each vendor's sheet; however, I would rather not have to go to each sheet to view. 

Thanks in Advance!

Holly 

Comments

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Try adding them adscolaberators and then assigning through the contact list to assign them and then use rge Resourse management view.

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    edited 03/13/15

JamesR’ suggestion could be a good solution for this. If you are on a Team or Enterprise account and were able to add your vendors to your account under User Management as free users, you can track them using the Resource Management tool which can show user’s allocation across multiple sheets and projects. 

Here’s a quick rundown on the Resource Management functionality in Smartsheet: http://www.smartsheet.com/resource-management-getting-started

We are also developing the ability to view calendars and Gantt charts in reports. Once this functionality is available, you could run a report to grab assigned items from multiple sheets/vendors and view them in a unified Gantt chart or calendar. 

Check out our product roadmap for information on features in development: www.smartsheet.com/product-roadmap

• Thanks. We have an enterprise account and I am not the admin. I did read up on the resource management, but wasn't clear about rights of contacts; therefore, I am not sure about asking the admin to add contacts. Our company is very large and I can see how that would not be scalable. 

Matt - try just using http://www.smartsheet.com/product-roadmap

Happy Friday!

• Here's what I did - its a simplistic solution that doesn't involve resource management but does help me just look at a calendar view and get a good sense of general resource allocation for a project.   I have both internal resources and client resources to deal with.  I need to see what type of account we have and look into Travis' note above.  But in the meantime....

I use conditional formatting to apply color to a resource so "If Assigned To is X then apply this format to entire row" and then I assign a different color.  Hope that helps in your situation.

• Stephanie Taylor
    Stephanie Taylor ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Janet,

Conditional formatting works in the grid view but as far as I can tell not in the calendar view.  It would be great if it did.

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    edited 04/06/15

Stephanie - conditional formatting can be used in the grid view, Gantt chart, and calendar. When building your rule, select this format and choose the Gantt/Calendar option to apply the formatting to the Gantt chart and calendar. If you dont see that option, make sure you have "entire row" selected rather than a specific column.

• Stephanie Taylor
    Stephanie Taylor ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Great! Thanks, Travis.

This discussion has been closed.