bhope51
bhope51 ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in API & Developers

Comments

• Alison
    Alison Employee

Hello,

Thank you for this question!

At this time, Smartsheet does not support this functionality; however, I've let our Product team know about your request. Due to the large number of variables they have to consider when choosing what to develop next, we can't confirm when or if this will be built, but we have let them know.

You can also add a vote for this under "Submit Product Enhancement Request" under "Quick Links" on the right-hand side of this page.

Kind Regards,

Alison

Smartsheet Support

• Chris McKay
    Chris McKay ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi  bhope51,

A barcode reader performs almost exactly the same function as a keyboard when it comes to reading barcodes. If you open notepad and start scanning barcodes, you'll see what I mean. Barcodes quite often include a carriage return character (again you'll see this in the notepad example).

With this in mind, as far as I can tell there should be nothing stopping Smartsheet from capturing barcode information.

• Alison
    Alison Employee

Hi Chris,

This is a great tip!  If you could let me know some more details on how you were able to do this, I'll be glad to share this with our Support team!

Kind regards,

Alison

Smartsheet Support

• bhope51
    bhope51 ✭✭✭

Basically we have a ID cards at work that have barcodes that contain our work ID's.  Currently we use the barcodes to track when employees arrive and leave from work. What we are looking to do is have employees scan the barcode on their IDs when they are picking up products that are being distributed. Having that barcode scan into smartsheet showing exactly who picked up what product.

• bhope51
    bhope51 ✭✭✭

Basically we have a ID cards at work that have barcodes that contain our work ID's.  Currently we use the barcodes to track when employees arrive and leave from work. What we are looking to do is have employees scan the barcode on their IDs when they are picking up products that are being distributed. Having that barcode scan into smartsheet showing exactly who picked up what product.

• Chris McKay
    Chris McKay ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Alison,

I've just had extensive systems integration experience smiley .

Point of Sale, Asset Management and Logistics systems (examples of systems that utilise barcodes) are essentially just databases of transaction records.

EAN, CODE 39, CODE 128 or UPN barcodes (the most common barcode types) are encoded with a unique string (numeric, alphanumeric or a mix of both) to identify the item being scanned and usually include a carriage return character after the identifier.

Next time you visit a retailer, watch how the POS works. Each barcode scanned is essentially performing the same job as if the sales assistant had manually typed in the barcode and hit enter.

So as long as the barcode is properly encoded, Smartsheet should treat the scanned barcode as if the barcode was manually entered into a cell followed by the enter key (i.e. it would capture the barcode then move down to the cell directly below it).

• ChrisB
    ChrisB Employee

Hi all,

We updated our mobile apps last week with barcode scanning capabilities for use when searching and when editing sheets. Please take a look at the launch announcement to learn more!

Chris

• Hello,

I am the current Office manager with my company and am wondering if the barcode scanner can be used for employees? We are currently making ID badges and want to implement barcodes for our Employees.

Jen

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Jen,

How do you want to use it with the employees?

Best,

Andrée Starå - Workflow Consultant @ Get Done

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Doug B
    Doug B ✭✭✭
    edited 08/23/18

I've been experimenting with QR Codes and it works well with an IOS device, good on ya mates for implementing this!  The process I use however, is through the smart device.  Setup a column and label it Bar Codes or whatever makes sense to you.  Go to the sheet with the Smartsheet App and select the location and hold your finger on it. Once highlighted press on the Keyboard icon that pops up.  Select the Bar code Icon and then scan your code.  The information then gets uploaded to that cell and make sure you save.  Now when you do a search using the barcode scan the searchlist shows the sheets/rows that have the code imbedded.  Also, if your code has embedded URL's, these will show on Smartsheet Desktop when you click on the cell.  Careful, do not use word wrap for the column if you have embedded information or the row will expand significantly in height, this also goes for the width of the column.  I   haven't figured out how to display this (URL's etc) within the Smartsheet App but you certainly could put URL's within the row for getting more information.  Hope this helps some folks as I found the instructions a bit vague... 

• HI

I am also interested in being able to have time measured from a barcode scan for employee and job barcode to collate total hours spent assembling in work centres. We are currently using Smartsheet as a production tool to monitor build progress through 10 work cells and being able to have multiple people update and record special information to that particular build. Attach photo's and create report sheets. The next logical step is to be able to record the time taken for each of these processes. Barcode identity for the employee, barcode for the order and a barcode for the workcentre.

Thanks

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Great idea!

It could probably be set up by converting specific barcodes to time entries and more.

Would that work?

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.