Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Tips and Tricks for Copying Row to Another Sheet

We keep master list of everyone who calls our hotline and all of our outgoing calls.  Oftentime, other staff import a sheet of calls to be made, for whatever reason, there is overlap in the information but every one uses their own system. 

I would love to save time by copying a row from one sheet to another and have the information fit into the master sheets categories (and the other way around).  Is there a way to to this.

Example: 

Master sheet colums: date, staff, name of caller, phone number, notes, student name, application ID number

Special issue sheet columns: application ID number, student name, parent name, phone number

So when copying a row it inserts the information after the regular columns of the master sheet, and I am not sure that cutting and pasting saves us any time.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• I believe the cut and paste is a literal move.  In other words, it's just going to place it in the new sheet like it was in the previous.  What if you hyperlinked back to the sheet or cell(s) that you want to copy and paste from? 

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    edited 03/13/15

Hi Michele - when you copy or move rows from one sheet to another, Smartsheet will add the data to similarly named/type columns. For example if Sheet 1 has columns “A, B, and C” and Sheet 2 has columns “B, C, D”, when you copy a row from Sheet 1 to Sheet 2, data from columns B and C will be added to columns B and C in Sheet 2 and a new column will be added for the data from column A.

In your example your Master sheet columns are: date, staff, name of caller, phone number, notes, student name, application ID number

Your special issue sheet columns are: application ID number, student name, parent name, phone number

When copying a row from the special sheet to your master sheet, application ID number, student name, and phone number will be copied to the corresponding columns while parent name will be added to a new column called “parent name”. 

Just make sure the columns name and type are identical between your sheets, or new columns will be created in the destination sheet. 

Here’s information on copying rows between sheets: http://help.smartsheet.com/customer/portal/articles/770589-copying-a-row-to-another-sheet

You might also consider using a report to automatically pull in rows from your special sheets to a master report. Here’s information on creating reports: help.smartsheet.com/customer/portal/articles/522214-creating-reports

• Thank you for the information, I am working on making our column names match!

This discussion has been closed.