Please bring back the tabs...

Braden
Braden
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

The new December 2018 look prevents easy navigation and inhibits work-flow.  This is not a positive update.  I see numerous posts expressing the same opinion.  Please bring the tabs back or make them an option.

Comments

• Ella
    Ella ✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/14/18

I completely agree! We need the tabs back!

• YES, please make the tabs an option.  I DO NOT like having so many tabs across the top of my browser window because I used to have multiple sheets open at the same time.  This will seriously impact the workflow for those of us that used to have multiple sheets open and still use the browser for other things.

• Jason Tarpinian
    Jason Tarpinian ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I need the tabs back too. It was very convenient having one Smartsheet window with each of my sheets easily viewable in a row across the top. Now I have to have a dozen internet tabs open to do the same thing? Who thought that was a good idea? It's not even an "added feature", you could have had multiple web tab opened before if you wanted to.

Jason Tarpinian - Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Measurable negative effect on workflow - fact.

Measurable positive effect on workflow - fiction.

Please put it back.

• Please, please bring back the tabs!

• Not having the ability to easily navigate between sheets via the open tabs at the top of the screen is ever-increasingly infuriating. I keep one tab open at all times which is my template. From that tab I frequently 'Save As New'. Now with the redesign, I am forced to make additional mouse clicks.

Mouse Clicks. This needs to be an item in your Design FMEA's, or whatever program your team uses for planning. If the new design increases the number of mouse clicks a user must make, then the negativity score rises. The higher the score, the more attention should be given to the design choice(s) affecting such score.

• Kelly Ospina
    Kelly Ospina ✭✭✭✭✭

I love everything Smartsheet, but really, really, REALLY HATE this new feature - I also vote for bringing back the tabs. At the very least, make it a feature that can be turned on or off in the user account preferences. 

• Like many fellow users, I'm not happy that Smartsheet took a feature that worked well (easy to navigate and manage tabs) and replaced it with what is now an inefficient, clunky process! This change is actually adding time to my desk and day. Is anyone from Smartsheet monitoring this feedback and all of these inputs?

• EHatch
    EHatch ✭✭✭

Another vote for bringing back tabs in Smartsheet, or a least the option to chose between using Smartsheet or browser tabs.

• Please bring back tabs, really slows down workflow without them.

• Roger Koon
    Roger Koon ✭✭✭

Initially, I had the same opinion as all of you. However, after some basic adjustments, and many hours of use, I now find the new UI better overall; that's not to say I haven't submitted enhancement requests. Some things to consider and/or try:

1. Use separate browser windows and alt-tab back and forth between them as needed (OSX has similar shortcuts). This is quicker than the old tabs because it doesn't have to keep reloading whatever tab you jump to. CTRL-n in most browsers opens a new window. True, you could do this with the old UI as well, but things could get confusing very quickly with multiple windows having multiple tabs.

2. Use the back button of your browser often. This works well in smartsheet.

3. Use favorites smartly. I use this now far more than I did before, because I used to rely too much on searching (which becomes more tedious as your access to items increases significantly).

4. Submit enhancement requests that can solve your issue within the new UI design. Example: "The ability to right-click on an item in Favorites and select "Save as New" would be a nice feature, in the new UI.

5. Clicking on the "hamburger" icon (top left) both presents and hides the flyout, leaving only the small vertical tool bar at right. This seems like a more efficient use of screen real-estate to me.

6. The new UI now presents us with "smart URLs", so we can quickly share links to everything, including folders, by simply copying the URL from the top of the browser window.

In my estimation, the new UI is better overall, so I'd rather not go back to using tabs. Instead, I believe we can work together to make the new UI better than ever.

• Kimberly Messina
    edited 10/12/22

100% agree, this has made my work life harder. AND every single browser tab I have ss open in start with (+99) whatever THAT is, is annoying and I can't quickly find the sheet I want when I have multiple open.