REALLY don't like the new layout!

Cliff Coburn
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

The new look/functionality of the sheet is much less friendly. Takes a lot more clicks to get through and I now always have to close the left pane to see my sheet properly. Also, the left pane list keeps changing so I have to hunt for my sheet each time. When you had the tabs at the top I knew where to find my sheets quickly as they were always in the same spot. Plus I didn't have to readjust the sheet each time.

Can you revert back to the previous view?

Comments

• I am still working through the new format process as an admin, but would agree with most initial sentiments. 

• Nick Burrus
    Nick Burrus ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It is far more tricky to navigate these sheets. :/ It takes me too much time to find the sheet I want. I used to have them all open and can swap back/forth consistently. Having multiple tabs makes my browser use more resources and looks like more clutter. 

Dr. St Nicholas Burrus DHA, PMP

I build Smartsheets for the US Government, State Government, and about a dozen of the US Fortune 100s.

• I like the idea of having more screen real-estate, but every "enhancement" seems to lessen my productivity by adding more clicks and more aggravation. 

I'm a PM and currently have 13 projects on my plate.  I jump between Dashboards to Project Plans and Budget Sheets all day long.   

I "use to" love SmartSheet, but It's starting to get very aggravating, which is why I left the previous tool and moved to SmartSheet in the first place.  

• Waleed
    Waleed ✭✭✭

I agree the old layout was much easier and friendly

It was possible to design the new tabs within hidden show tabs menu on top

how ever maybe it will be better if will add more features with more space

• Agreed. The new layout is awful.

• Jim Hook
    Jim Hook ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the sentiments here--a totally unnecessary and annoying change. My pet peeve is that I can't easily control where I pin a new sheet. If I want to pin a new sheet five sheets from the top I seem to have to unpin everything and then repin everything in reverse order. Terrible user experience! With the old tab method I could just drag the sheet where I wanted it to be. 

Whoever approved this change must have been a Chrome hater since the old navigation worked just like the Chrome bookmarks bar. With Chrome being the most popular browser I don't understand why someone would want to go to a new navigation scheme. Maybe the Smartsheet software team's motto is "If it isn't broke, we'll fix it"!

• I'm afraid I have to add my voice to these complaints. Not being able to reorder the list of recent sheets is particularly aggravating as it would help me transition more smoothly from the old tabbed layout to the new one.

An example of a new feature that would have been particularly welcome would be the ability to share multiple sheets in one fell swoop without creating a workspace.

• Kyle Morgan
    Kyle Morgan ✭✭✭✭✭

I am trying my best to like the new layout but, I am having a heck of a time convincing myself.

Far too many "clicks" needed to perform what used to take 2.

My coworkers and I have experienced zero benefit from this update. In fact, it is proving to be quite the opposite. Productivity is taking a nose dive.

And as luck would have it, I just rec'd an email from Smartsheet stating that my renewal is up in February and that they would like to discuss a "small" price increase.

We have been a Smartsheet customer for several years and I am not sure if I am willing to accept, yet another, price increase when they have just succeeded in making things more cumbersome.

I have a lot of thinking to do. I hope that I can find value in this latest update.

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭

We don't like it either.  More work for no real benefit.  Harder to use and more resource intensive.

Survey:

Was anybody from the user base able to participate in the user study for this?

Sure seems like it came out with even less aplomb than the last UI "upgrade", and that's saying something!

• Jim Hook
    Jim Hook ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I wasn't part of the user study for this but I did express concerns when I received an email telling of the impending changes. It's worse than I expected since it's not easy to reorder the pinned list as I was used to doing with the tabs and changes things for no apparent improvement.

• Kyle Morgan
    Kyle Morgan ✭✭✭✭✭

There was an actual user study?

(I wish someone would invent a "sarcasm font")indecision

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/19/18

re: sarcasm / sarcastic font.

There is.

I used to have one on my computer back in 2010 or so.

They don't seem to catch on and the difficulty with fonts, especially on a forum like this, often the font needs to be both on the viewer's computer system AND the author's at the time of posted.

Or so I believe.

You can, of course, create a graphic image with your chosen sarcastic font, but many people may not recognize if for what it is intended to show, just as italics or bold have different meanings for different people (except in good documentation)

I have long believed that Ambrose Bierce was an advocate for adding a typesetting for 'reverse italics' to indicate sarcasm, but I can not find a reference, so I may be remembering incorrectly.

Craig

ps: None of the above is intended as sarcasm by the author or should be construed as sarcastic by the reader.

EDIT: Search for "reverse slant font", "backwards italics", "sarcastic font", or "sarcasm font" and you maybe find one that will work for you.

• Kyle Morgan
    Kyle Morgan ✭✭✭✭✭

Craig <drops mic>

Kyle <tips hat and applauds>

• It's to the point where this is almost unusable for me, so frustrating!  I would rather just use Google Sheets & Docs and create my own interface to the data rather than spending my day being frustrated.

Do they have people beta test who actually use the tool?