Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Dynamic drop down list

Jeremy Whitehead
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

Is it possible to link a drop down list to a query from another sheet column.  For example It would be great to be able to have users select items from a list of the top ten sold items. This list would update as sale demand changes. or being able to only select items of a certain type based off another column.

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

At the current time, not really. There is no way to reference content from one sheet to another. You can create manual direct link to cells, but to pull content into a dropdown dynamically from other sheets is not currently a possibility. 

• Gordon
    Gordon ✭✭✭✭✭

+1000 for this suggestion.  It would make my life so much easier if I could link a dropdown list to a range in another sheet or a specific column in the same sheet.  If not, allow formulas to populate results into dropdown list columns.

• Agreed!  This is an important feature.  Add my vote!

• This would work extremely well with per cell drop down lists so you could use a vlookup to set drop down list items. I have a smartsheet I'm working on that would really benefit from this feature. I've submitted an enhancement for it already.

• This would be an excellent new feature.  I have several business uses that would benefit right away if available.

• Again, dynamic dropdown connected to a group of names on a different sheet.

I.E. Employee database holding names

Dropdown field on sheet for qualifications, which shows live list of names from employee database.

Am surprised with all the superfluous features added on, that something vital like this isn't in place. A certain competitor allows a 'Link to other table' dropdown and it is why we can't currently commit more of our resources to the smartsheet system

• Hello Smartsheet, 

Any update on this request initially requested by Jeremy a year ago? 

A simple dropdown list connected to a column in a previously created sheet? 

Should be possible it's vital for many business I guess.

Found this on trial period day 1.

Thank you for an update,

Chris

• Adding myself and my firm to the growing list of individuals who would consider this feature a critical addition to Smartsheet’s functionality. +1000 on getting this feature implemented, particularly on forms.

• I would see a benefit , too!

• jdunphy
    jdunphy ✭✭
    edited 12/18/18

A couple of use cases:

• High-level divisional project management
      • Parent project category drop down > determines sub project category options
        • Ex: I choose department 1234 as my parent category which drives projects a, b, and c for the sub category options -- hiding the other projects from 4 other departments which would make the list cumbersome
          • Makes it far easier to onboard people into project management without getting turned off by too many options and miscategorizing tasks
    • ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Entrance into dynamic questions for forms
      • Ex: I choose 'electronics' from a gift ideas drop down as my parent category which drives 'mice', 'keyboards', 'headsets' as sub category options -- hiding the other gift sub categories for 'everyday swag', 'food days', etc. parent categories as we survey 200-300+ agents on preferred rewards for metric achievements
        • ​​​​​​​Personally if you could have more robust dynamic functions in forms in general (ie I ask question 1 and using the answer I only provide questions 3, 5, and 7 for more answers as those are the only ones applicable) to compete with the fluidity of Google Forms questions would be invaluable
  • SilverArcher
    edited 01/02/19

I've been eyeing SmartSheet for several years.

On day 1 of my trial, I'm using my upcoming family vacation as a case study.

While planning all days of the trip in a Gantt view, I'm adding expense categories and sub-categories for accurate budgeting over a 2-3 week period.

Only a few hours in and I'm already frustrated at the lack of being able to use dynamic dropdowns.

I'm a Google Sheets & Excel power user and could bang out a nicely formatted sheet w/ Gantt views, dynamic dropdowns, automated everything (including email alerts), etc., and came to SmartSheet to avoid having to re-automate each new sheet I create. This simple & crucial element should NOT still be an issue after multiple years of operation.

I actually left one of your competitors: AirTable, because they couldn't do the same (as well as restricted data validation, which, thankfully, you've done right - Great Job!).

Overall, I'm very happy with your platform; however, I'm semi-frustrated by the lack of formulas that I'm used to (I'll grow used to it though) but the lack of conditional logic (i.e. dynamic dropdowns) is truly excruciating.

Please fix this and I'll gladly throw my money your way -  I'll also have my company do the same (the main reason I'm starting my own personal trial).

• Frigobross
    edited 01/28/19

Hi, i join my vote to this post... looking for this feature on the first sheet i've create. It's a non sense not having this basic feature.  I saw on a post a solution using an API. I wondered why it's not possible to use the primary colum of a sheet as a dropdownlist in an another sheet. Does someone of Smartsheet ever look for this solution? Hope it will come soon. 

• gb82
    gb82 ✭✭✭✭

wow! how much would I love this feature!! I am a big smartsheet user and fan, and it would be beneficial in so many areas of my work

• Sam Harwart
    Sam Harwart ✭✭✭

Just adding another +1 to this request. I will formally submit it though the Feature Request system as well.

This discussion has been closed.