New layout - some observations

Marcin P
Marcin P
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi Smartsheet,

I have a few observations about new layout, which seems to be great, but there's always some "but" :)

If we have an option to open sheets in browser tabs, including use of middle mouse button, why it is limited to the new left-hand side menu? It is not possible to do the same from the main window where all sheets are listed, which is a little bit pain.

Also the new menu could be lockable to avoid auto-hide after sheet open. If sheets can be pinned in there, so the whole menu could be pinned as well.

Both of these is very useful for admins, who has to jump through many sheets often, in my opinion.

Please let us know if this is on the road map ;]

BR

Marcin

Comments

• Hi Smartsheet,

while I agree with Marcin above on the improvements he suggests, I generally would like to say this new layout makes Smartsheet near unusable for me.

We are a web-based business, I have dozens of browser tabs open at any one time and now I have to add Smartsheet tabs on top of that? It results in utter chaos.

The ability to have multiple tabs open within Smartsheet to quickly switch back and forth was the best thing ever and you have just taken it away.

Generally I would like to say please focus less on overhauling the experience for everyone in a unified way and focus more in each user being able to customize their experience based on their use of the platform.

You have just made my job infinitely harder with this update.

Thanks,

Phoebe

• All good things must come to an end...but why?

I need to be able to tab my sheets. Not in my browser, but within the tool. I have to constantly switch between sheets and this update will slow my work down significantly. Can you please PLEASE implement a fix so I can have multiple sheets as tabs?

Also - I need my list of workspaces accessible all the time. Currently it auto-hides if I select a sheet. Can you make it lockable please?

This has really ruined my Friday :-(

• Ella
    Ella ✭✭✭✭

Dislike the new layout, the browser tabs are useless, we can't open multiple sheets at the same time and it seems we can't close a sheet as well, a complete mess.

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭

+1 for pinning the navigation pane, restoring the old tabs, and returning the ability to open more than one sheet at a time without needing to implement third party workarounds.

• I've tried to give the new layout some time to get used to, but even after giving it a month of a chance, I still find it really hard to work with - this is a disappointing update. If we must keep this new left-hand navigation system, at least make the black bar always visible so you don't have to click twice just to start to navigate to the place you want to go.