Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Multiple discussion for one row - MISSING

Hi,

Since the last update it is not possible to make more than one discussion per line.

Please make this undone. I'am really unhappy!

Best regards

Comments

• Are there any updates on this? We designed an entire feedback loop that centered on having multiple discussions per row (allowed for separate topics on the same subject by different departments). We were literally about to roll this out tomorrow and now the entire philosophy has changed. 

Also emailing comments and comment threads does not work currently. With discussions this worked. 

• Cheryl Camacho
    Cheryl Camacho ✭✭✭✭

Multiple discussions per row is invaluable to my projects.  Allowing only one discussion thread per row seems to be a backwards step in delvelopment.

• Hi-- To confirm, it is still possible to have more than one "parent" comment per row. Typing into the "Add comment" box will create a "parent" comment. Clicking "Add reply" will add a reply to a "parent" comment. Hope this clears things up!

• Agustín Maiz
    edited 08/10/16

It is NOT possible to have more than one parent comment per row.There is no Add comment box. See the file screenshot attached (it is in Spanish)

Discussion.png

• Cheryl Camacho
    Cheryl Camacho ✭✭✭✭

Okay, I see how we now have to do it.  We add a new comment and that becomes the Parent Title.  You then can add comments underneath that new comment.

I am trying to understand how this new format is better.  It certainly is not more user friendly!

• We are basically doing the procedure suggested by Kennedy, however it still is not as user friendly, plus before when you emailed the discussion it showed the subject of the discussion as the subject in the email. Also you could collaspe the individual discussions, in this case you can no longer collapse a comment thread.

• We are basically doing the procedure suggested by Kennedy, however it still is not as user friendly, plus before when you emailed the discussion it showed the subject of the discussion as the subject in the email. Also you could collaspe the individual discussions, in this case you can no longer collapse a comment thread.

• Alex Vorobiev
    Alex Vorobiev ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/11/16

Appreciate everyone's feedback and apologize for any inconvenience the changes may have caused.

Sounds like you have discovered that it is indeed possible to have multiple threads per row.  I completely understand it's a change from the old behavior and may not be immediately intuitive because it's different.  

In the new experience, you can add new comments - each comment becomes a thread.  Or you can reply to comments - and any replies are threaded below a comment that you reply to.  This is consistent with how most consumer and business applications implement comments today, but I completely understand that the transition from the old Smartsheet experience to the new one may be disruptive and frustrating.

My team and I have been focused 100% in the last two days on customer feedback, and we are looking at options to mitigate the concerns that have been expressed.  Most immediately, we are working on a fix to add aditional context (primary column value) to notifications, and looking to release that today or tomorrow.

We are listening to your feedback and appreciate your patience!

This discussion has been closed.