Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Card View Vertical Drag changes value

JBudd
JBudd ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I love the new card view but in each vertical lane I'd like it to organize by the priority value.

It would be great to have it automatically set the priority 1 higher than the card I just drug it above.

And it would be great if it put it in order of the Priority Field if I edit them directly.

Comments

• Hi JBudd-- These features are ones that our Card View team will consider for future updates, thanks for your input!

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

JBudd, 

I do this in two steps.

Card View based on (whatever you normally view - status, phase, etc...)

and then Card View based on priority.

Views are based on dropdown - as long as priority is a dropdown, you can change to view the sheet that way.

Craig

• JBudd
    JBudd ✭✭✭

This works if you have minimal items, but when you are trying to look at 14 different things, and what step it is in along with it's priority it's very difficult to read like this.

It should at least vertically organize by something, I can drag and drop vertically and they stay, but there is no access to whatever is controlling that order, and it I at least had access to that it would help.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/10/16

When cards are moved vertically, I assume there is a hidden property that remembers this order.

Or am I missing something?

If so, is there a way to access that property?

Craig

• JBudd
    JBudd ✭✭✭

That is EXACTLY what I'm looking for!  I can't find that anywhere.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/10/16

I have verified that I can reorder them, close Smartsheet, and reopen with them reordered as I had them, so there is something there.

Craig

• JBudd
    JBudd ✭✭✭

Yes, sorry, I had confirmed that already and was just saying that's what I need is access to that value.  If you can find it, that would be great!  I could do much with that.

• You are all correct. There is an explicit rank for each card in a particular lane. We do persist the ranks on a per view basis. So If I'm looking at cards by status I get a different set of ranks than if I look at cards by say "must have, should have, nice to have." This was chosen for simplicity and flexibility. We do realize there are other use cases that could be beneficial, but wanted to wait and see what people were asking for. We don't currently expose the rank in the grid, which could theoretically allow you to reprioritize the cards. So my question to you is, how would you expect this to work? The rank isn't really for a row, it is for all rows that are set to "not started" so the rank is really connected to a particular dropdown in your sheet. How would you expect to edit it? Could we make it a system column that you would need to add? or do we need to add a rank property to all of your dropdown columns?  

Bonus question, would you ever want the ranks between multiple dropdowns be kept in sync? What is your usecase for this functionality? 

Thanks for the feedback!

Robin

• JBudd
    JBudd ✭✭✭

I use it for my Scrum Project managment, and we have created a twist where we add in priority for the projects.  I also manage 3 scrum teams that work together in an odd mixture, small company efforts.

I would love to be able to set a priority on each card ("project") and it would vertically rank based on that priority, and if all lanes were in sync so all priority 4s were in about the same vertical space, that would be awesome!

Just having access to the rank on my status card view, I could make a few equations that could automatically set this for me, it would be awesome!  Even if lanes weren't in sync I would at least see each lane prioritized.

This discussion has been closed.