Sorting

Options
Tim Hockersmith
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hey Guys,

I have created a sheet to help our construction company track our new leads.  We have set it up to fill out a form that feeds information into the sheet.  I have conditional formatting set up to identify each lead by their status.  Periodically I will pull out dead leads and move them to a parent category allowing me to collapse some of the parent categories to keep the sheet less cluttered. 

My issue is with sorting.  At any given time we may have 30 or more open leads that haven't been "filed" as dead, or active.  When I sort by the primary column it also moves my parent categories.  I would like to keep my parent categories at the bottom, since that is my form of "filing" leads I no longer need.  My solution was to name the parent categories Z "example", then ZZ"example", and so on.  

Does anyone have a better solution for keeping my parent categories alone when sorting?

If not, is there a way to create a hidden label were the "Zs" would not be visible but would still be recognized when sorting?

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Tim,

Have you tried using filters instead?

Would that work?

Happy Holidays & Happy New Year!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• I have dabbled a little with filters, that may be the best route.  

My other question that may need to be a different thread is regarding each users view.  We create a sheet and add people to view that sheet.  Each person wants to change the size of the rows and columns or wants to change their view of the same sheet.  But when someone changes that view it changes everyones view of that sheet.  Is there a way for multiple users to modify the way they view that sheet without everyone being affected?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/27/18
    Options

There isn't a way to get specific views of the same sheet except on the row level with filters.

I would recommend using reports for that instead because that is one of the main strengths of reports and it's easy to give everyone there own view of the same information.

Reports can also keep the sorting intact and in the way that you want it.

Would that work?

Best,

Andrée

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.