New UI 12-14-2018

TAdams
TAdams
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

This UI is terrible, I don't even want to waste my time explaining why at this point, it is OBVIOUS.

At this time I am contemplating updating all training materials, SOP's and videos or just throwing in the towel and searching for a replacement. I simply do not have the time to re-learn, re-document, re-train every time some millennials decide they want to splash new paint on and move things around. If it actually had benefits, and made things efficient, reduced time to accomplish tasks and clicks - I would be all for it. So far the last 2 UI changes have been anything but any of that. Smartsheets obviously is not heading in the right direction and is not listening to customers.

Features I have wanted, and have yet to see.

• Improved search (actually like the mobile search better than the web based). Search Sheet/reports/sheets in workspaces, etc.)
  • Improved backups
  • Customizable backups with ability to set retention plans.
  • Recurring tasks without having to open the sheet every day.
  • Improved functions and functionality.
  • Improved cross sheet functionality.
  • Conditional formatting improvements
  • Increased options for auto-incremental file naming.
  • Forms for editing current sheet data.
  • Reworking the convoluted permissions systems.
  • Removal of ribbon and back to an interface designed for efficiency.

On a side note:

I real forum instead of the current "community" that inhibits the typical browser and mouse input (your browser doesn't allow you to paste) even though it does on EVERY other website! Right click functions overridden by the web form, forced double line spacing, etc.etc... Instead what we will probably get is an increase in banner/header size (as if 480px isn't enough!) moving the announcements to the left and a change of color and fonts and auto hiding/unhiding scroll bars prompting another java induced timer delay on hover of the mouse to get to something you want now..

On a positive note, it is Friday!

Regards,

Tom

480 px.jpg

Comments

• Your comments are appreciated. I couldn't agree more- this is terrible. Redoing training is something that didn't even cross my mind... but I guess I'll get started, or give up. 

Happy Holidays everyone. 

• Nick Burrus
    Nick Burrus ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I strongly dislike this new UI. It makes things look more cluttered. Kronos/OnePoint recently changed to this appearance too and I strongly disliked it then and I dislike it now.

Along with this the "Log in" for the Community Discussions doesn't work from the top anymore. It forces you to a smartsheet. I had to toy with my cookies just to log into this forum. 

Dr. St Nicholas Burrus DHA, PMP

I build Smartsheets for the US Government, State Government, and about a dozen of the US Fortune 100s.

• Yep, this new layout is trash. The update also made searches worse. When I click on a row in the search, it still brings me to the sheet quickly, but it sometimes takes 5-10 seconds to find the row. Real bang-up job by SmartSheet.

• Would like to add another long standing feature request to my list.

• Formulas based on cell history. 

Due to a user error with the new UI as well as updates to the sheet (new columns) many rows were changed where I had used an automated date when cell changed in combination with last modified row. Which works if noone modifies rows (on accident or on purpose). I will be spending the day looking at cell history and entering those dates manually to other cells. sad

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I made a training manual and multiple training videos.  If I were to try and re-work them every time Smartsheet !@#ed with the User Interface, I would have lost 240 man hours by now.

I can't keep up with it, and I can't stop it.  Just have to live with my work being flushed down the drain while I simultaneously lose functionality and convenience.

OUCH!

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Oooooohhh SNAP

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!