Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

How do you set Alerts based upon field values?

John M Lee
John M Lee ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Desired Result:  An Alert email is sent to the user name specified in the Contact List column when the status on that row equals a certain value.

Example Layout:

Column A is a Contact List drop-down

Column B is a Status drop-down with labels of Planning, Contract Request, Complete

Columns C - Z are various data fields

Example:  Status field (Column B) is changed from 'Planning' to 'Contract Request'.  When the sheet is saved any rows with the status of 'Contract Request' will have an alert sent to the user name in the Contact List field (Column A).  If there is no user name in Column A then nothing is emailed.

At this time Alerts seem to be pretty close to what we need but not completely there. You can call out a column but not a value for that column which I what we seem to need.  

Anyone have any ideas?  We are open to ideas on this one.  Maybe something related to cell linking or conditional formatting?  

Comments

• Jim Hook
    Jim Hook ✭✭✭✭✭✭

John,

The only way I've been able to do this was to actually add a whole column to generate an alert for a specific person, or group of people, when something in another column changed, exceeded a particular value, etc. as determined by the fomula in the column that triggers the alert. It's not efficient to have to do this for each individual but in my case it's usually just one or two people.

This discussion has been closed.