Latest Comment in Cell

Options
@daniel
@daniel ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Is it possible to reference the latest comment on a row, in a cell?

And if we cannot currently do so, could this be considered an additional feature in the future? I would love to see the latest "update" on a project task as opposed to opening up the comments or manually updating the cell to reflect the latest update.

Thanks.

Best Answer

• Brian Cunningham
    Answer ✓
    Options

This is possible now! It's just a little tricky to find.

Just click the comment button so the comment screen appears on the right. Then click the three dots in the top right of that screen. There is an option to "Insert latest comments column".

Answers

• MattH
    Options

I just want to add that when I'm working internally with teams to help them build their own processes with sheets that's often the only reason they refuse to use the "comments" on a sheet: they'd rather use a single cell to see the latest update and suffer later if they need to review the whole history. 

• Marcin P
    Options

I think that comments on the left hand side are more for conversations about relevant project's row and if you'd like to have kind of last status of the prject, the easiest way would be to create special column for it. Then, if anyone will update it, all team members will see the latest status, but you wil still have possibility to check history of all statuses via View Cell History functionality. At least this is how I would do it :)

• mniblett
    Options

I really like the idea of showing the last comment in a cell (in fact I got top this thread because I was searching on a way to show comments in cells). Obviously, it's easy to add your own comments cell, but them it keeps growing, people don't always add info to ID who made the comment, and people can edit other peoples comments since they have access to edit the whole cell. It would be really good if we could use the comments feature and be able to see the last (if not all) of the comments displayed in a cell.

• I would like this feature as well

• DaveGreen
    Options

I've made this request before since this is by far the most annoying thing about Smartsheet when managing tasks and needing lots of status updates. (and there are NOT a lot of things that annoy me about SS !!!)  Copying and pasting from the Comments dialog into my "Current Status" cell (or vice-versa) is a manual exercise that I can barely stand to do myself, much less expect everyone on my team to do the same.

But if we keep requesting the enhancement I'm sure they'll eventually hear us!

• TimRyan
    Options

This seems like it could be a simple formula pull in a row. Can this be added soon please, google has several pages of this request. 

Love smartsheet, however this would round it out perfectly. 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi All,

I think that this might be possible to set up with the help of a third party tool like Zapier or similar. I'll get back to you if I find a solution.

Until then, Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

Happy New Year!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Kenny
    Options

Same request. Submitted an enhancement request. 

• Mara
    Options

This is exactly what I'm looking for.  On one hand the interaction with comments is great, but if you need to scan through the latest on a bunch of rows, the last thing you want to do is open the comments bubble for each one.

At this point, we're debating going back to a "type your updates into a single" cell method, which isn't really what anyone wants.

Will submit an ER!

• David Woodard
    Options

This would be huge!  Would also make it easier to keep track of all status updates and the most recent.  Helpful with Project Status Reporting.  Can't wait to see a solution.  Any progress on this?

• In the process of building out an IT PMO Accelerator instance at my firm. This feature needs to be available. Perfect way to have a running log of status updates, and managers/executives can see the most-recent updates at a glance in the cell. I'll be submitting an enhancement request presently.

• Chris Rea
    Options

Add me to the list of people who would like this feature added. There has to be a way to do this and I definitely don't trust my people to update the same information into two different places accurately.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Chris Rea

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD​​​​​​​

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Rhonda Mudryk
    Options

Hello - please add me to this enhancement request. I was just searching for a way to add a comment to a cell and found this.

Thanks!

Rhonda Mudryk

• Amy McCann
    Options

This is a critical feature for our business. If you would just allow the ability to reference that field, I could take it from there.

Thanks,

Amy McCann