Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

How to find out how many columns am I using in a sheet/report

Loann McGee
Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

Good morning,

I looked through and didn't see this question, so if it is posted elsewhere, my apologies.

Is there a way to know how many columns you have on a sheet without having to manually count them? I know I have a few sheets with anywhere from 25-50+ columns, but I've not found a way to get a count automatically. 

Not a major need, but just a nice convenience to have. 

Blessings,

Loann

Comments

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Loann,

Similar t your other Question, this sort of Properties data is not readily available.  A useage Stats section in the properties dialogue box could cater for this.  Again perhaps Travis can note and add it to the growing list of small but usefull enhancements.

As a work around if its important and not ideal, Export to excel. Place a 1 in the first column, Control and Autofill to the last Cell in the row and the one will increment in steps of 1.  You will have your answer.

• Loann McGee
    Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, James - that was going to be my next step! ;-)

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    edited 06/02/15

Loann, if you have data in every column in a row, click on the row number (which will highlight the entire row) then look at the bottom right of your sheet. Formula results will appear here depending on the type of data you have selected (count, sum, min, max, avg). When you select a row, you will see a count of the number of selected entries (and probably a couple other results). If you have data in every column in the row, the count will tell you how many columns you have. 

I will also add the usage stats suggestion to our growing list of small but useful enhancements Laughing

• I like Travis solution.

To this you may note that the horizontal count does NOT include the symbols of the first left columns (attachments, discussion, alerts, lock), which is good as far as I'm concerned.

• Loann McGee
    Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the input - very helpful. 

This discussion has been closed.