Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Filter option after Building a Report

Brent Taira
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Hi,

After building a report, it would be great if we had the ability to use filters similar to the other sheets.

Thanks,

Brent

Comments

• JohnHinkle
    JohnHinkle ✭✭✭✭✭✭

In a way, reports are filters. They are filtering rows from multiple sheets. If you want to filter something out, use the report builder. For example of if you only want to see a task that is assigned to "John", set that as a report builder criteria. 

• I'm trying to generate a very basic report that shows just the sheet name and the status of the overall project.  How can I do this?  The report I've built shows the sheet name and every row (task) in the project.  

• Adding to my post: When creating the report I have the option to filter on contents in a particular column, but the option I need doesn't exist.  I want to display every row that contains any value.  For example, I've added a column to my sheet for Comments, where I will put the current project status--so there will only be one row in the sheet that contains a value in that column.  Perhaps I'm not setting up my sheet correctly.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you!

• Erick Jimenez
    edited 08/22/16

Hello.

I would like to add some comment here. I have the same need that LJS. After you built a report, yoi don't have the same options to filter a column that you have in a common sheet, you onky can sort the cloumn, not include a filter.

For example, I need all the tasks in my projects that meet some requirement, as "end date", then I need to see only the projects for a specific country. It is rework if I have to add a column of every project indicating the country, I could do this filtering the name of the sheet, and the report sheet doesn't allow that option.

Any sugestion will be very appreciated!

• Angie Hatfield
    Angie Hatfield ✭✭✭✭

The report is a basic filter, but not indepth enough. Although when creating the report you can use and/or to filter what you want, you can only use "And" or "Or", not both.

For example, if I want only those checkmarked in Column 1 or Column 2 and only those in Column 3 that have a specific status, it won't work. The option is "Or" for each filter or "And" for each filter-not both

That does not work. Either allow "And" and "Or" or allow column filters to work after running.

Additionally, when selecting "Or" as the filter in my scenario and clicking on "exclude selected", it did not exclude them. It ignored the exclusion entirely.

Am I missing something? 

• Erick Jimenez
    edited 09/08/16

Hi Angie. Thanks for you comment.

You set: "Either allow "And" and "Or" or allow column filters to work after running." That´s the problem, you cannot perform a column filter after run the report.

• I as well need a column filter on reports so we can filter out a status field as they are being updated.

• BTW - My work around has been to "export to Excel" or "export to Google Spreadsheet" and use the filter capabilities there.  It is a bit kludgy but works.  Hmmm, I wonder if I can get it to export to a Smartsheet....might need to use their API to get it done....

This discussion has been closed.