Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Data Entry Forms - Adding Discussions

Rob Pritchard
Rob Pritchard ✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

We use the data entry form for our customers to add new job requests. The form works great but it would be better if the following can be done. Can anyone help ?

1) Can a discussion be added directly from the form entry. At the moment they have to go in to the row after data entry to start the discussions ? The discussions are used to provide more information on the request.

2) The email version of the entry - If there is lot of text in a field the row appearance in the email is distorted by it ? Can the sent out row be formatted to avoid this ?

Comments

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Hi Rob! There is not a way to add discussions from a web form but I will pass this feature request along to our product team and it will be considered for future development. You could have a Discussion column in your sheet where users could add text via the web form. Once the form is submitted you could copy and paste the data from that column to the rows Discussion. 

How is the row appearance in your email distorted if you have a lot of text? Are you referring to the notification email or the “send me a copy of my response” email? 

• I would agree with Rob. Having form entries loaded directly into the discussion would be incredibly helpful.

• I know this is an older discussion, but using API 2.0 can you submit the row, then get the ID (Row ID) from the responce, and then send to the discussion?  We are using C# and are just now attempting to do this.

• dAVE Inden
    dAVE Inden Employee

You can add a new row to a sheet using the Smartsheet API. Info on this can be found in the docs here:

http://smartsheet-platform.github.io/api-docs/?csharp#add-row(s)

In the response the id of the newly created row is included which could then be used in other operations with the API.

If you have additional questions on the feel free to reach out to us at api@smartsheet.com.

• Dave, thanks.  We have been able to add a row using the Smartsheet API, but my question is how to get the row ID from the row submission?

So, how can I get back the Row ID when adding a row?  I am using the following to add a row:

smartsheet.SheetResources.RowResources.AddRows(73123464072xxxxx, new Row[] {rowA});

What code is used to retrieve the Row ID?

• dAVE Inden
    dAVE Inden Employee

When adding a new row to a sheet via the API there isn't an option to add a discussion as well. That would require a separate request using the id of the newly created row. In the response to your request to create the row the id of the row is included. You can collect this value for use in the next request to create the discussion.

In the documentation for creating a row there is an example of the response you are given on a successful request. See that for how the id is stored in the response object.

This discussion has been closed.