Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

sorting by row ID

Zafar Yuldashev
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Dear Smartsheet users Community members, 

can someone answer to my pretty basic question. i have a challenge to sort the table back to initial order per Row ID (1,2,3,4,5,6,7....) after sorting based on some other column info (e.g. date, amount etc). after obtaining certain info based on sorting of different collumns, i want to restore the order by Row ids initially auto assigned. Sorting of Row ID Ascending or Descending only sorts the lines by first numbers like (ROW ID 13, next comes 131, 132) 

Comments

• Greg Gates
    Greg Gates ✭✭✭✭✭

If the column only contains numbers, I'm pretty sure the sort function works correctly. If the column actually contains the text "Row ID 1," then it will do text-based sorting (which I assume is not your desired behavior). Could you take a screenshot of your scenario? 

• Dear Greg, 

thanks for your comment. seems i always used some prefix or suffixes, which made the proper row sorting problematic. sometimes we ignore the most obvious things and try to overcomplicate the things. now it works. thanks a lot and have a great day. 

This discussion has been closed.