Edit attachment from a sheet

Ofir Marco
Ofir Marco ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello,

Currently attachment is allowing either to attach a URL or upload a file or different file versions.

But for editing, the user cannot edit online and it only allows to download the file and upload it again.

Do you know if there is a plan in Smartsheet roadmap to enable a functionality for editing existing attachments online without downloading it?

Thanks.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Ofir,

That would be a useful feature for sure.

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/03/22

Hi Community - has anyone found a response to this situation?

I have a client that wanted to do edits to word attachments without the need for downloading etc.

We have found that Chrome downloads the attachments and saves changes in a local temp doc in your downloads folder; but Edge seems to open to an office editor. Sadly the office editor that Edge opens to doesn't give full Word functionality.

Any ideas on how browser settings might help here?

Thanks for any response!

Debbie

• Hello All,

I have recently run into this editing of an attached word document problem as well and looking for a solution.

Everything I've tried and from the suggestions I've read in the community is edits are not saved. You must download/upload the document each edit.

There was a suggestion made a couple years ago to "link" the document from Drop Box. I've been unsuccessful at finding the application to link as suggested.

If someone has the path to link as suggested, I would appreciate the guidance.

Thanks,

Phil

• Jacob Minnich
    Jacob Minnich ✭✭✭✭

We figured out how to do this with SharePoint/OneDrive and using sharing settings on the file of "Anyone with the link can edit" or "Anyone with the link can review". Then we either put the link in as an attachment or as a hyperlink in a new column.