Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Mandatory or Required fields to complete in a smartsheet

Mark Bonham
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

I have a need for users when updating or entering data in a cell in a smartsheet that they must complete some mandatory fields.  A webform has this function, however on existing rows it would be ideal to have users who are given updates or entering in a new row to have to complete some mandatory fields before final saving is accepted.

Is this functionality available?

Thanks,
Mark

Comments

• Tim Meeks
    Tim Meeks ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This can be done with Conditionally formatting.  I would assume there is one field that is populdated such as a project # or task #, etc.  Have a conditional rule that says if Field A is populated and Field B is blank, make field B Red (or some other color.)

You may have to have a rule for each frield, but it will at least alert them. 

Here's what I did for a sheet recently. 

SS Conditional Formatting.JPG

• Jamison
    Jamison ✭✭✭✭✭

I do exactly what Tim describes above. Takes some time, but works well. Conditional formattting over multiple columns (which i have suggested) would be nice.

• Is there a way to limit the conditional formatting to just one row?

For example, in a smartsheet that has many tasks, we want the Status filled in just for the overall, top row.

The suggestion above would format all rows.

Thanks

• JohnHinkle
    JohnHinkle ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Frank, add an AND criteria that only matches the parent row. You may need to add something to the row, but chances are there is something unique you can use, 

• Ridiculous. 

Conditional formatting is not a substiotute for required fields.  Unsuprisingly, users do all sorts of things within sheets.  We're attempting to design systems that are resistant to human error.  So far, smartsheet is a lousy tool for this purpose.  Simply reminding them to fill out a field is little more than a "suggestion".  It is not adequate

This is NOT a solution and it's annoying that it's being proposed as if it's somehow adequate.  

• Kennedy Stomps
    Kennedy Stomps Employee
    edited 07/20/16

Hi Joe-- I've added your vote for this functionality but it is not currently on our short-term roadmap, so some users have come up with workarounds that have served as solutions for their team. I understand that this might not work for your team at this point!

• Hi Kennedy

I also feel conditional formatting isn't a solution - we have 100 op team members using SS and the need to have fields mandatory to record estimated/actual time, assigned team members etc. is becoming a must.

Do you know when this function might become available or if it is being worked on as we speak?

Thanks

• Hi Kurt-- I don't have an update on this at this point as it's not something that's on our public roadmap. There's a chance this will be developed in the future, and I'll add your vote for this to our enhancement request list to help our Developers priotize this feature appropriately, but again, I can't guarantee when or if this will be released.

• Fully agreed that something as mundane as REQUIRED FIELD should be standard. Please add thsi to the roadmap - I'm just getting started w/SmartSheet, but if something that basic isn't included, I'm skeptical at what other basic things are not included...

• Agreed with the above.  High volume project need reliable data in real time.  Smartsheet's goal is to avoid chasing information.  Not having this feature is counterproductive to the sheet goals.

• Olam One Finance PMO
    edited 02/10/17

The option of mandatory field should be made available in Smartsheet.

• Olam One Finance PMO
    edited 02/13/17

I have 600 rows of data mapped it to 40 to 50 owners. each owner has multiple rows assigned.

While requesting for update request, am sorting and selecting owner wise rows and sending mail notification seperately for each owner. (40 times).

If I select all the rows and send, all owners others are able to see/update the information, is there any way to solution or work around for this issue?

<email removed by moderator>

Regards

Srinivas

<email removed by moderator>

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Adding my +1 here, and putting it into the new 'feature request' web form.

I'm really tired of people being able to report the absolute minimum amount of information when they complete their UR or update their rows in the sheet.

• My friends, a very robust way around this required field is to use a web form instead of the use of the SS, on the web form you can set the requested fields and a lot more.

This works for sure, hope it is usable to you

• This is definitely basic functionality that should be included in addition with the ability to also make a field required based on values entered from one or more cells. 

For example, we have a Help Ticket sheet and if a person closes the ticket they should have to enter a closed date.  Yes, you can create a date field that is automatically updated however if someone would re-save this ticket after it is closed that date would not reflect the close date.

This discussion has been closed.