Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Hyperlink to a specific row in another sheet?

Stan Ward
Stan Ward ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

Is there a way to hyperlink from one sheet to a specific row in another sheet?  I want to be able to click on the link to jump from one sheet row to a specific row in another sheet.

Thanks,

Stan

Comments

• Loann McGee
    Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭

For cell-to-cell, you can link them by right-clicking on a cell and choosing that option from the pop-up menu. It will ask you to choose the sheet first, and then the selection of cells/range of cells that you wish it to reference.

Blessings,

Loann

• Hi Loann.  Thank you for your answer.  When I right click there are two options that seem relevant.  I am not sure which one you mean. One is to link to "Link from cell in other sheet".  This displays value of a specific cell on another sheet, but as far as a I can tell I cannot click on that cell to jump to the cell in the other sheet.  The other right-click applicable option seems to be "Hyperlink...".  Inserting a hyperlink is what I want, but it only provides a hyperlink to another sheet, not a specific cell or row within that sheet.  Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Stan

• Loann McGee
    Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/04/16

Stan,

I just tried the cell linking on my end and it seems to do what you are asking. I click on the cell where I want to link out FROM. For instance, in my sheet I clicked on a cell that has a name and then chose to link to the cell in the sheet that has their full address/contact info.

When I go back to where the name is in my first sheet, there is a small green arrow on the right side of the cell pointing inward. When I hover over it, it tells me it is a link in from and tells me the name of the sheet. If I click that it will open the sheet in the same kind of window where you did the linking from.

You then have the option on that to open the actual sheet. The top left partial cell (orange) is where I right-clicked to add the cell-to-cell link.

See if the picture below helps:

Cell with Link.png

• Hi Loann.  Yeah, the sort of works.  I was doing it in reverse and could not get it to work.  Further, while this sort of work, it seems that was really designed for dynamic values, not for linking to specific rows.  For example, if the sheet is hierarachal (parent-child rows), when you go to the sheet, it does not open up the parents if the row is a child and the parent row is closed. 

What I really want is what happens in a report that includes the "Sheet Name" for a given row. In such a report, when you can click on the Sheet Name for a given row it will jump immediately to that row in the given sheet, opening an parent rows to reveal the target row.  I do not think there is a way to do insert a hyperlink like this in smartsheet, but I was just checking to make sure.  Below is a link to video of what I mean, which is  a demonstration of clicking on a link in a report and it going directly to a row in a sheet.  What this tells me is that the functionality is all there, there just needs to be a feature added to allow users to insert there own inter-sheet links.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cwuejhjow7yy2by/2015-06-05_18-06-03 - hyperlink to other sheet.mp4?dl=0

Cheers,

Stan

P.S. I only click once in the video.  All of the other action is smartsheet doing stuff on its own.

• JohnHinkle
    JohnHinkle ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 06/05/15

I don’t think Smartsheet has the exact function you are looking for “click a link in a sheet and go to a specific row in another sheet” but Loanns suggestion could be a workaround for you, as clicking the sheet name in the linked cell then “go to sheet” will bring you directly to the row containing that linked cell. 

• Loann McGee
    Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The other option, that though it isn't a link is a way to get to that particular row in the sheet from a report is to right click on the drop-down arrow at the front of any rowl of your report and choose "Edit Row."

From that pop-up you'll see the option at the bottom to "Open Sheet:*Name of Sheet*" option. I use this all the time when I need to get to the row that the report is pulling from.

Does that give a viable work-around?
    Blessings,
    Loann

Cell link.png

• That's good to know. But no, I am looking for a way to go from a sheet to a sheet (not a report to a sheet).   Seems the feature I seek is just not there.  That's ok.  There is always room for improvement.  Thanks for your work on this Loann.  -Stan

• Thanks JohnHinkle.  Missed your earlier reply.

• Hi, I am looking for this action too! A hyperlink to another row in a sheet would be very useful! If you hear any news that this is being added I'd love to hear about it.

Many thanks,

Irene

• Hi Irene.  I have gotten what I was looking by using the technique that Loann and JohnHinkle recommended.  Here is the solution:  In the report, include the Sheet Name as a column.  When you click on the Sheet Name in the given row, Smartsheet will go to same row list in the report in the given sheet.  It is a solution to what I wanted to do.  Not the way I envisioned, but it works all the same.

-Stan

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Another option, to get a URL for a specific row: Send the row to your self then copy the URL in the Login button. Use this URL as your hyperlink - it will bring you directly to the row. 

• Yes, Travis's suggestion works, too.  They are for different purposes.  In my case, what I want is for *every* row in a report, I want to be able to click on a link to get to the sheet for that row, in the context of that sheet.

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭

+1 to request for hyperlinks between sheets.

The first suggestion works, but is a bit slow.  The second suggestion does not work for me in (in Chrome at least) as it opens the page but never finishes loading the sheet.  

Better to just open the linked sheet, in the same browser tab, to the specified row.

• Kenyon Bajus
    Kenyon Bajus ✭✭✭✭

There should be a way to link to a specific row in a sheet, just like we can copy a link to share the entire sheet.

This discussion has been closed.