Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Web Form Feature Request

Options
Chuck Muirhead
Chuck Muirhead ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

It would be helpful to have the ability to add a comment field to a webform and have the comment go directly to the comments for that row. 

Currently, we have a comment column, but the comments can be long and if you do a text wrap, it really creates a visual mess on the sheet and notifications.  We also are required in many instances to copy the webform submitted comments to the comment option for that row.

Comments

• Hi Chuck..did you try the multiple lines option?

• Chuck Muirhead
    Chuck Muirhead ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks Tony, but that is not my issue.  It's not the webform side, it is the sheet side.  To keep things cleaner and where they need to be, if I have a comment field on a webform, I want that comment to go directly to the comments (old discussions). 

Similar to what is already available in "Send Update Request"  You can add comments, directly from the "Send Update Request" webform and they go directly to the comments.

• ahhh ok..I'm not sure that's available either honestly.  I think that might be a good question for support@smartsheet.com..

• Chuck Muirhead
    Chuck Muirhead ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I know it is not possible, that is why I posted it as a "Feature Request"

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

My first inclinition is to vote for this, but I;m pretty sure it may conflict with the design of both the WebForms and the (new) Comments functionality.

We may need to come up with a decent user story for this to be implemented.

WebForms are currently new entries / rows only.

Craig

• Misha Starobin
    Options

Im with Chuck on this one.

You guys currently have an option to add a file upload field to the webform, those files then go into the paperclip in the respective row of the respective sheet.

Could you guys add a COMMENT field to the webform. That comment will then go into the comment section of the respective row of the respecive sheet, timestamp and name included.

Thanks

Misha

• Qi Xu
    Options

Please add my vote for this feature!

• bangddrum
    Options

...And my vote as well. Currently, we have work request details being committed to the "Comments" column, but it must be done within the sheet itself, and some folks are resisting it.  IF we were able to just add a "Comments" field to our webform and have their submission commit to the comments column, our webform would be used more readily. Any chance this feature could be prioritized?

• bangddrum
    Options

Hi Craig, Here's my user story of this instance;  We have a Design team and a Prototype team. Design submits work requests to Prototype.

Prototype would like Design to submit via our webform but doesn't want all those characters in a single cell. They want Design's detailed directions (which can be 300+ characters) to be committed to the "Comments" column so they can be replied to, etc.

As it is, Design doesn't like to enter directly into the sheet via the Comments column but they DO like using the webform. That's great, but Prototype needs their details in Comments column.  IF the webform could commit their comments, that would promote its use AND save Prototype a little cut n' paste to Comments. 

Seems like a trivial thing as I write it, but it keeps coming up as a request from these teams. Thanks for the help!

• sgriffin27141
    Options

I cast a vote for this feature too.

• kim28026
    Options

i vote for this too

• Alex Palmer
    Alex Palmer ✭✭✭
    Options
  • Agriffiths
    Options

Is this feature available yet?  It seems like a very simple feature that's missing.  Would help immensely with workflow system we are attempting to use in SmartSheet.

• Agriffiths
    Options

Any update on this feature.

• jhopkins
    Options

I vote for this also. 

New web form item comments linked to sheets comments icon.

Just like how attachments work on a new web form and link to the paperclip icon.

This discussion has been closed.