Dynamic View Search Functionality

S_Karkhoff
S_Karkhoff ✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Our team often needs to search by program, client or product numbers.  I can't find a way to do this in Dynamic View other than Ctrl+F, which only returns results that are currently visible on the screen/window.  Any suggestions?

Comments

• Anthony M.
    Anthony M. Employee Admin

Hello!

You may try using the View Filter on the View Display page of your Dynamic View configuration. We briefly touch on the feature here https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2478391-dynamic-view-create-administrate-views

"In the View filter section, you can select a dropdown or symbol column to allow anyone who will have access to the view to apply a quick filter based on that column."

So, as long as your columns containing the program, client or product numbers are a dropdown column AND your Dynamic View is built with a sheet as the source, you should be able create a filter should accomplish your goal. Unfortunately, views with a report as your source do not fully support filters at this time. This is something we are looking into improving in the future.

Thank you for your time. Hopefully that addresses your concern. Should you have additional questions or would like to discuss this scenario further, please feel free to open a ticket directly with our support team by following the steps here https://help.smartsheet.com/contact

Kind Regards,

Anthony

Smartsheet Support

• TimG
    TimG ✭✭

I'm surprised this isn't a feature already, being able to search is something a lot of people rely on. There is search functionality in other areas of Smartsheet, why not dynamic view? Is there any hope of this being added in the future?

Kind Regards,

Tim

• Alan P.
    Alan P. ✭✭✭✭

I agree. I've had to create a search using several methods, which are cumbersome. Even a basic search from a form would be great. Especially if the results could be returned on that same form

• edpbrook
    edpbrook ✭✭✭

Hi Anthony - it has been 4 years since this was requested. any luck getting this prioritized?

Yes, you can create a filter for each and every search you want to perform on a dynamic view, but that it extremely burdensome for the user and creating a filter doesn't allow you to search across fields - you have to know which field you want to search in and are unable to find search across fields.

• Yes, this is one of the reasons I can't use dynamic view. If it doesn't have a quick search feature, dynamic view is virtually useless to me.